power steering pressure hose

Old 09-02-18, 04:31 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
power steering pressure hose

hi..is there a way to fix a power steering pressure hose on a 2006 monte carlo ss 5.3l..whithout replace the hose....metal part..thanks

Old 09-02-18, 04:56 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
There is no diy fix other than replacement that I know of.

Old 09-02-18, 05:52 AM
V
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
You sure that the leaking part isn't made of plastic ?

I've had threaded plastic fittings on sensors that fatigued from being heated and cooled too often, and just needed to be removed, have their threads wrapped with a couple layers of teflon tape, and re-inserted to the same position . . . . something that a dealer garage would NEVER do.

Power steering pumps can generate pressures as high as 1600 PSI; so be careful not to cross-thread anything.

Last edited by Vermont; 09-02-18 at 06:16 AM.
Old 09-02-18, 06:52 AM
Received 62 Upvotes on 53 Posts
Places that sell hydraulic equipment parts and supplies have shop that makes custom hoses. I don't recall what for, but I had hose made once. Ahh, for my generator gas hook up. Will it be less expensive than a new hose, that I do not know and it took them few days.

Old 09-02-18, 07:06 AM
F
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hose?

Not sure if your hose has failed, or the fitting is leaking. If the former, there are field repairs possible on hydraulics, eg. https://www.hosepatch.com/ There may be cheaper fittings out there that serve the same purpose.

If the latter, tighten up the fitting, that might do it. Or try LOCTITE 545 - Thread Sealant - Loctite or a similar high pressure sealant if the fitting still leaks.

That said, given the importance of the power steering not failing while driving, a new hose does seem like the way to go.

Old 09-02-18, 11:16 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Those lines are not as expensive as you would think. I just replaced one on my super duty Ford van as it uses a special non serviceable swivel fitting where it connects to the pump. The entire line assembly was $21. It tookme over two hours to install it though.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: