2010 Forte Front struts

Old 09-17-18, 12:25 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
2010 Forte Front struts

Hey all. I haven't been here in a long time. Anyway I have a 2010 Forte EX. I replaced the front struts. (it isn't that the strut was bad but both boots/bellows were broke free and bouncing up and down and driving me nuts. Sounds just like a ball joint especially in winter when plastic is cold and stiff. I did use KYB brand. There is no real adjustment just basically bolt in. Anyway didn't feel right so took for alignment. He told me both sides were out and he used special adjusting bolts to get back but it still just doesn't feel right. Just curious why it would be out in first place? Anybody with any experience with this. BTW pre sprung struts were totally outrageous and special order

Old 09-17-18, 12:38 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
My wife used to have a merc that got uneven tire wear. I had it aligned but that didn't help. I took it to a different shop and they adjusted one of the struts [it is part of the suspension] and that fixed the uneven tire wear problem.

Old 09-17-18, 12:44 PM
Received 61 Upvotes on 52 Posts
If it was "right" before and not right now, keep in mind that entire car now sits higher. Yes, I know, some will say struts do not change vehicle height - yes, they do. So just that will throw you off kilter some.
Sounds like you have Toyota style strut mounts - no camber adjustment and camber bolts were used. If camber is not set right, it will pull this way or that way.
Otherwise, there's really nothing to screw the feeling somehow. Unless you moved tie rod end and now toe is wrong, but that should have been caught by alignment guy.

Old 09-17-18, 04:02 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
struts

Yea was Ok before. No adjustment slots. I assume he checked all. Doesn't pull. Just seems sensitive and "squirrelly"

Old 09-17-18, 04:41 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
entire car now sits higher
If original springs were reused then car is at same height, struts, even gas charged do not have capability to lift the ride height, the springs hold up the vehicle.

When struts were removed then camber was upset, new struts are different, it will need an alignment/adjustment.

The factory settings can be "adjusted" to get the ride back to what feels correct, you need to find a front end shop, not just a repair shop that will work with you even if it takes a try or two to set!

Old 09-19-18, 03:03 PM
Received 61 Upvotes on 52 Posts
Nope. I GUARANTEE that car sits higher with new shock component replaced only. I had them replaced times many enough to not be blind and see that. Last time I measured difference between replaced and old side was about an inch. I contribute this to them being gas charged and now with new charge, they simply puff car up a bit.

Sensitive is hard to define, as I am not you and we place different meaning into the word.
Bumpy? That depends on what you used as shock strut component, some are very bumpy. Some are just plain junk, like Gabriels or Ariels. KYB is VERY stiff initially.
I'd come to conclusion that it may be simply a break in period for the new struts?

Old 09-19-18, 03:55 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Sorry, if nothing changes other than the shocks, not air lift, then the vehicle is at the same height.

It may feel different with weight transfer but as far as ride height that is controlled by the springs.

In fact in non strut cars you can remove the springs and nothing changes!

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...1064609AApFdoG

Old 09-20-18, 04:16 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
I've always heard that new shocks/struts won't raise a vehicle any but like ukrbyk I've also experienced a slight ride height increase with the new. I've always chalked it up to the old struts being worn out and the new bringing it back to where it's suppose to be.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: