2009 Scion xD replace thermostat

Old 10-31-18, 10:12 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2009 Scion xD replace thermostat

2009 Scion XD , 58, 800 miles

I am replacing the coolant and radiator hoses on this car and was considering replacing the thermostat.
It is difficult to get at the two nuts holding the thermostat housing but can be done working from both the top and from underneath (remove the splash panel first). The housing is behind and under the alternator on this 1.8L engine.

I am wondering if there is an easy way to remove the two black grill sections from the bumper cover (and there is one panel behind that) , which will give a straight shot to the therm housing nuts. Or do you have to remove the bumper cover first?

I am also considering leaving the thermostat alone, you know "if it ain't broke don't fix it" - we also have a 2003 Camry with 85,000 miles that we brought brand new and I changed the coolant a few years ago but it still has the original thermostat.

Old 10-31-18, 01:06 PM
A
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
If your not having any issues I would probably leave the thermostat alone it is an inexpensive part but I have bought a few defective thermostats over the years witch also makes me lean toward if it ain't broke dont fix it.

Old 10-31-18, 01:33 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I appreciate your input Alan73. Thank you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: