Tires with alloy rims leak

Old 11-02-18, 04:32 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tires with alloy rims leak

Hello...
i have a 2009 Malibu Ltz with alloy rims. Every few weeks or so my tps monitor comes on. The tires steadily lose air. The shop that installed the tires say itís a common problem with these rims. Then they have to use a different sealant on the tires. So I get them sealed and a month later here comes the tps monitor again. I fell I shouldnít have to make trips to the air station that frequently.., kinda pain in the ... is this a common problem or does anyone know of another solution to this dilemma?
thanks!

Old 11-02-18, 04:50 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 101 Votes on 87 Posts
Alloy rims do sometimes leak. I would say your choices are to live with it or replace the rims.

Old 11-02-18, 05:37 PM
Received 20 Votes on 17 Posts
Have them remounted and tell tire hand to put lots of goop onto the sealing edge. They have to be dismounted, wire brushed or cleaned other wise real well, then lots of goop, then remount. They also have microcracks sometimes, nothing you can do there....

Old 11-03-18, 02:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
I have seen alloy rims that have pitted where the tire seals some have pitted so bad there is noting that can be done to stop leaks

Old 11-03-18, 02:59 AM
A
Received 33 Votes on 31 Posts
my 2008 had the same issue of developing leaks around the bead cleaning the rim to remove all corrosion would generally only fix the leak for a few months finally ended up using a bead sealer to take care of the issue.

Old 11-03-18, 05:10 AM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 51 Posts
Alloy rims can leak due to expansion and contraction in cold climates.
In addition to what has been suggested and it might go against vehicle recommendations, run the tires at the maximum pressure rating of the tire if the tps system allows it.

Old 11-03-18, 05:10 AM
M
Yeah Iíve had it back to the installer a few times. They dismount the tires and they say they use a special sealant something more heavy duty than regular but it still leaks every few weeks/months. Guess Iíll just live with it for now. Thanks for all the advice!

Old 11-03-18, 06:41 AM
compressor and tire gauge, unless you have TPMS. It's pain, because the tend to drop down to non drivable level over a cold night.

Old 11-03-18, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 51 Posts
One way to eliminate the cold night pressure drop is to add air during the coldest temperature you will experience.
Have not had any TPS problems with this on a GMC 3/4 t pu @ 60/80 psi or a minivan @ 44 psi.

Old 11-03-18, 11:20 AM
Received 12 Votes on 9 Posts
Alloy wheels tend to corrode and leak around the beads and valve stems. The castings can be porous as well.
The real fix for the problem is steel wheels.

If the wheels are in good cosmetic shape sell them and buy steelies - you'll be money ahead and nuisance free.

Old 11-04-18, 04:55 PM
F
Bead sealers usually do a pretty good job. Maybe it is a leak at the valve stem. Is it all the tires/rims, or just one that is loosing air? Perhaps tightening up or replacing a valve core will solve this? Or just replace the valve caps with these which add an extra seal...

You could also try the following, inflate the tires higher than normal, say 10 pounds higher than the specification in the manual (make sure its still below the maximum pressure that is typically stamped on the sidewall. Drive the car a bit, and then deflate down to a 3 or 4 pounds higher than the specification in your manual. This might help the bead set and seal, a bit higher pressure will give a bit of a stiffer ride, but will function fine and safely.

https://www.amazon.com/Valve-Loc-Uni...alve+stem+caps

Old 11-05-18, 04:41 AM
L
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Could he not just buy tubes for the tires and disregard the TPS system? Or would Slime help him seal the leak?

Old 11-05-18, 04:52 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 430 Votes on 384 Posts
I assume slime would ruin the valve stems as far as the TPMS goes.

Old 11-05-18, 09:28 AM
Slime is not the slime we are referring to. Slime - I used word goop - is applied to the bead seal only. Basically, a rubber sealant. You do not want to put any "slime", like FixFlat, into any tire,unless at total gunpoint or it's like my mower tires. Who cares there. With slime inside, you have permanently moving mass that iffs up your tire balance to the point, that it needs to be dismounted, cleaned thoroughly - with lots of words from the tire hand - and them fixed and remounted/re balanced.
TPMS bladders are set against the rim inner surface. Tossing a tube in will likely at least give a false signal. Plus low pressure light on the dash. So you simply place a piece of black Gorilla tape over the light not to be disturbed with it. But, as for tubes, TPMS stem has to be replaced anyway, simply remove TPMS completely and deal with light.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: