remove window crank--acura integra

Old 05-22-01, 08:46 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

PULLED AS HARD AS I DARED. WINDOW CRANK WOULD NOT BUDGE. IS THERE A SECRET OR DO I JUST HAVE TO KEEP PULLING HARDER? 1986 ACURA INTEGRA.

Old 05-22-01, 09:02 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
There's a clip that holds in on.

Go to a parts store and for about five bucks buy the window crank removal tool. It will pop off the clip. Watch out, the clip can go flying.

The one made by Lisle doubles on the other side as a molding removal tool. Pretty neat .

Old 11-09-02, 03:30 PM
plummerbutt
Visiting Guest
Reading this thread brought a tip to mind which I think others may find useful.

I retired my clip removal tool after watching an "old tymer" remove them in less time than it takes to open a toolbox drawer to retrieve the tool. He simply slid the edge of a shoprag behind the crank, and holding the two corners of the shoprag gave them a couple of gentle alternating tugs causing the rag to slide back & forth around the shaft/clip and voila the clip was off. The rag prevents it from sailing off into the land of missing clips and the whole process takes seconds.
Since learning this method, I have removed countless clips without losing or damaging one & saved myself many trips to the toolbox.

For those who aren't familiar with the re-installation of the window crank:

Once you have removed the crank, re-install ther clip onto the crank for safe keeping.
To reinstall the window crank with the clip already in place, position the crank over the shaft and give it a quick nudge with the palm of your hand. This allows the tapered end on the shaft to expand the clip allowing it to drop in to the slot once the handle reaches the correct installation depth locking the handle into place.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: