Green corrosion on car battery cables

Old 01-12-19, 09:22 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Green corrosion on car battery cables

Got a 2000 Honda Accord with intermittent problem of needing a jump even though it has a new battery, battery terminals, & wire brushed battery nodes. Green corrosion in both battery cables, & 1 mechanic noted sparking in the cables when I had trouble starting it. He cleaned cables near terminals, which improved things for a while, but problem reappeared recently. Other than replacing both positive & negative battery cables, any other options? I was thinking of cutting insulation around both cables to clean cables as much as I can, but this may be a waste of time. Car is a runner so I want to keep it going. Thanks!

Old 01-12-19, 09:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I'd replace the cables. You could just replaces the ends but often the corrosion works it's way up the wires.

Old 01-12-19, 09:45 AM
Received 62 Upvotes on 53 Posts
1. remove cable terminals
2. buy battery cleaning tool
3. buy dielectric grease
4. 10mm wrench
5. hand drill and self tapping screw
6. disassemble any plates and other connections that are on the cables, sometimes they have additional this or that.
7. clean all connections, terminals on the battery and clamps on the cables down to shiny metal
8. lubricate battery posts with dielectric grease
9. set cable clamps ALL THE WAY DOWN to battery top. Literally, tap them on down with light hammer strokes.
10. tighten 10mm clamps bolts and all other cable connections. Lubricate all cable connections/plates, of course.
11. drill a hole through cable clamp and into the battery post and drive self tapping screw in, to secure clamp on post.
12. go fancy - buy purple battery sealant and spray over terminals.
Enjoy. This is guaranteed to not go bad till the battery dies.

Old 01-12-19, 11:11 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks marksr & ukrbk. I am inclined to replace, as I suspect corrosion goes down the cables. I will use the dialectric grease & purple spray near the battery, just to slam this shut once and for all. Appreciate the feedback.

Old 01-12-19, 05:32 PM
Received 62 Upvotes on 53 Posts
No, it does not. But you are welcome to do as you please.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: