2000 Olds Bravada - COLD

Old 01-19-19, 09:42 AM
B
Received 13 Upvotes on 9 Posts
2000 Olds Bravada - COLD

Drove 3 hours highway the other day and air from heater was "sorta warm" but not hot. She topped off the anti-freeze and today still the same thing.

Today she says gauge says 180° , I think these have a 195° thermostat but not sure, she hasn't had it that long. She says she has the heater set on 80°, still just warm from heater.

When she gets here I'll check the two heater hoses for temp, anything else I can check? I don't know much about these newer cars.

Thanks

Old 01-19-19, 10:01 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
I don't know much about these newer cars.
I dont think a 2000 can be considered a newer car!

Coolant level, thermostat, leaks, blend door or valve, bad core!

Old 01-19-19, 10:08 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
I find it hard to believe a thermostat wouldn't open up or the engine reach operating temperature after a 3 hr drive. I have a hard time believing the coolant temperature gauge if she's ready it right. Cooling and heating system on modern day cars isn't that much difference. Biggest things are less room to work and servos instead of mechanical linkage [blend door]

Old 01-19-19, 10:13 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
I had the thermostat fail on my truck last winter. It broke and stuck in the open position so the engine never got up to full temp. and the cabin heat would only get up to mildly warm. Replaced the thermostat and it solved the problem.

Old 01-19-19, 10:15 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
I run the fail safe theromstats and when it went out in my truck it would still reach operating temperature after 10 miles of so ..... but that does make for little heat until then.

Old 01-19-19, 11:05 AM
B
Heater hoses were one hot and the other warm after running 2 hours and idling at my garage, temperature gauge ~180°, maybe it has a 180° thermostat.

The automatic temp control seems to work correctly, when on auto the fan speeds up to warm interior, pee-warm air coming out.

I have no idea how these 'auto' systems work as far as less/more water going through the core, much easier with my 51 Chevy and a small cable.

Hate to think where and how to change to core and what it will cost, maybe I'll try reverse flushing the core and see what comes out? She called her garage and they don't do that sort of work so...

Old 01-19-19, 11:45 AM
S
Received 32 Upvotes on 23 Posts
Since Olds was a GM product, it may have originally come with DexCool, the orange coolant. I had an issue where regular green coolant was added to the DexCool, and they are incompatible. It gelled up to the point that there was no coolant circulating. Radiator and hoses were basically filled with jelly. I'm not saying that's the case for you, but it's something to be aware of.

Old 01-19-19, 01:34 PM
B
...but it's something to be aware of.
Her brother gave her this Olds along with a gallon of orange anti-freeze and said "use this" without explaining not to use the green stuff. After reading her this she said to say THANK YOU.

She also said before giving it to her he brought it to a dealer and said to go through it, which included flushing the cooling system.

I'm beginning to think they might have done a mickey mouse job on that and plugged the heater core. He gave it to her last summer so he'd never notice.

We had -31°F this morning so it does put out enough heat where she can drive it, just take a warm jacket.

Thanks very much everyone, summer is right around the corner.

Old 01-19-19, 02:09 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 112 Upvotes on 97 Posts
would probably try flushing the heater core would also probably change the thermostat also.

Old 01-20-19, 06:41 AM
S
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Wow -31F ! ! I checked where you are, that cold air is coming here to New England tomorrow. After the freezing rain stops that's on top of the snow that fell first - will have to proceed with caution.

Does the Olds have the 4.3 V6? The Bravada being the Olds version of the Chevy Blazer would mean it likely does. I always liked those. Rumor has it the Blazer it returning, but to be built it Mexico. Very stylish, but I like form follows function for more room efficiency like the old Bravada Blazer.

I never heard the two different types of anti freeze should not be mixed, something to make note of.

Old 01-21-19, 10:05 AM
B
She finally talked with her brother and he said...

▪ they did not flush the cooling system

▪ he didn't seem concerned when told of hot an pee-warm heater hoses

▪ a while back he had a new 'door' put in but it now sticks (I'm wondering if he meant actuator)

▪ do not use auto. To raise the temp just move it a little at a time, you may have to just keep messing with it.

▪ she drove to Tower this morning to dentist (-21°F) and messing with it didn't seem to help, not happy.

After spending hours yesterday on youtube I ran across this video: GM HVAC BLEND DOOR ACTUATOR RE-CALIBRATION. It was for the proper years but said Chev, GMC trucks and SUVs, didn't mention Olds.

I don't know if I dare try this or not, anyone ever done this? I nothing else we'll first put some cardboard on the grill and maybe this next.

Thanks

Old 01-21-19, 10:32 AM
B
Doh, guess I can post the video, only 7 minutes long a quite simple:

https://youtu.be/WWnjTwIK4OA

Her Olds is a little different, she has auto on the 'fan' and 'location' buttons but I don't think on the temp knob, that is just 65-70-75 etc.

I'd hate to mess it up where she has NO heat at all.

Old 01-23-19, 02:17 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Blend Door

Given the heater hoses were hot and warm, the core is transferring heat. Sounds like the blend door is not opening. Here is a link that gives you some instruction of how to test for a problematic blend door.

no heat Chevy Blazer no heat oldsmobile Bravada ? Ricks Free Auto Repair Advice Ricks Free Auto Repair Advice | Automotive Repair Tips and How-To

The motor is available here...https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...actuator,10721

I suspect you can find some instructions on how to access the motor, here is the process for the 1999 Bravada, may be the same.

http://www.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_...mobile_bravada

Old 01-25-19, 04:37 AM
B
no heat Chevy Blazer no heat oldsmobile Bravada
Thank you so much, an article that explains that her core always has full flow, blend door regulates the interior heat.

Given the heater hoses were hot and warm, the core is transferring heat.
I've found me stating that is very misleading, sorry. When I say one was warm, yeah, it was warmer than say her fender. After reading that article I went out and started my truck and car, heaters on full blast. Once up to temp they both had a hot and warm hose, the warm being just slightly cooler than the hot.

On her Bravada the hot is hot and the warm is just barely, not even close to the hot, HUGE difference. I'll bet the farm core is partially plugged.

Thanks very much, let the fun begin.

Old 11-12-20, 06:11 AM
B
Fixed

With the snow she started driving it again and freezing to death. I said, "call the man".

He called back, "it's gonna roast you right out". Back flushed the heater core and good to go. I've never had that happen but $60 well spent.

Thanks

Old 11-12-20, 06:14 PM
Received 61 Upvotes on 52 Posts
Just as cherry om matza - any modern coolant is compatible with dreaded DexCool. Modern. Anything you buy at parts stores clearly says that. Unless, whatever was that they included with that vehicle was OLD coolant and not compatible.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: