2008 Honda CRV Road Noise

Old 02-11-19, 10:32 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2008 Honda CRV Road Noise

My vehicle is making the wonderful jet engine noise whenever I drive and it gets louder the faster I go. I believe this is the hub bearing but I'm not totally convinced. I was told it might also be the CV joint. Either way what should I be looking for? If I need to replace the bearing are there any instructions on how to do so Westmark I don't want to start a project that I can't finish. I'm noticing also that once I begin moving I can hear a little grind noise so that's why I think it's the bearing.

Old 02-12-19, 05:22 AM
Received 11 Votes on 8 Posts
Did this condition come on fast or has it been getting worse over time?
Eliminate tires first, worn tires can get very noisy if the alignment isn't right.

Old 02-12-19, 05:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
Ditto on tires. sometimes if a bearing turning the wheel a small bit while driving the sound will increase on side with a bad bearing.

Old 02-12-19, 11:15 AM
A
Received 27 Votes on 26 Posts
would probably start by jacking up each wheel and checking for excessive play in any of the bearings by grabbing the tire at 6 and 12 and at 3 and 9 positions and wiggle.
as per replacement may find some videos on you tube to help you decide if you want to do this yourself or take to a shop.

Old 02-12-19, 06:19 PM
Received 16 Votes on 13 Posts
I have no idea what "wonderful jet engine" noise is. Shoot video and post here. Many things can be it.

Old 02-13-19, 08:19 AM
Received 16 Votes on 13 Posts
Just in case:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpdghLj6AhE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsvTn8d06O4

For the sake of hassle, simply replace entire hub. They are not expensive.
If you do not have impact wrench, drive to a parts store and get "Frong Enf Socket Kit" rental. Free.
Drive to a closest tire place, ask them to break center nut loose and then hand torque it back, so that you can drive back home and remove it. Then, after done, you repeat that step, so that they can high torque the nut for you. few bucks well spent.

CV joint won't make high pitched noise.

Old 02-15-19, 11:45 AM
J
I purchased the vehicle from auction, I was in a bind so I had to purchase something and this was the best of what was available. We didn't know it was like this. It's had this type of noise since the beginning and I really think it's the bearing. The my nuts are very tight so there isn't any play at all.

Old 02-15-19, 04:05 PM
Received 11 Votes on 8 Posts
You are about to find out why the car went to auction ........

Old 03-02-19, 01:12 AM
J
Actually it was traded in to a local dealer who sent it to auction like most dealers do here. One bad bearing isnt the end of the world. Just need to fix the issue.

Old 03-08-19, 11:46 AM
F
Bearing failure on a 10 year old is car is not uncommon, best to have the hub replaced.

Get new brake pads and rotors done if they are near due as well, the incremental labour cost to do the bearing while doing brakes is very low.

The parts costs are quite reasonable. https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...+assembly,1636

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: