Jeep calipers sticking

Old 03-18-19, 02:33 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Jeep calipers sticking

I have a 2012 Jeep Wrangler JK. I barely have 40K miles on it. I have replaced, different calipers, 5-6 times over the 40K miles. What the heck is going on? I just changed the right front only 10 weeks ago. Now my right rear is locking up. The Jeep was at the dealership only 6 weeks ago for a couple of unrelated recalls and to change fluids. The dealership flushed the brake fluid and checked everything out for me (brake related). I told them I was having issues with the brakes (multiple caliper replacements). They claim there was nothing wrong. There's NO WAY this is normal.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-19, 02:50 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 317 Votes on 281 Posts
It ain't normal but I know what you are talking about. My JK is 2 yrs older and last year I replaced the caliper on 3 of my wheels. When it happened again I figured it was the 4th wheel but instead it was one of the replaced ones - least it was under warranty. My replacements where in the 65-70k range. I've never replaced a caliper on any other vehicle that had less than 100k.

I think Jeep makes the best stock 4x4 but I think they skimp on the quality of the parts they use.

Old 03-18-19, 02:56 PM
W
I very much enjoy my Jeep, but this is driving me to the point of considering selling it. It seems to be down more than it's up and running. Luckily I have a spare vehicle, one that doesn't need the brakes worked on every few months.

Old 03-18-19, 03:01 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Are you able to work on it yourself or do you take it to a shop?
I generally do my own repairs and buy lifetime replacement parts when I can. Doesn't help with the labor but it does save me some money.

Old 03-18-19, 03:32 PM
W
I usually do it myself (had a repair shop do it once while I was on the road, out-of-state). I'm already looking for better parts (OEM) to my next repair. I talk about selling it, but I couldn't do that, LOL. I love my Jeep, even thought the brakes are a pain in my rear.

Old 03-18-19, 04:03 PM
M
Received 12 Votes on 12 Posts
Is the piston sticking in the bore of the caliper or the caliper hanging up on the slide mounts?

Old 03-18-19, 04:39 PM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
40k? Should be under warranty.

Old 03-18-19, 04:49 PM
W
Not sure what exactly isn't working. I'll take it apart this weekend and go from there. I'm guessing the piston sticking in the bore.

Old 03-18-19, 06:15 PM
M
Received 12 Votes on 12 Posts
Apparently the brakes aren't releasing and they're heating up?

If the piston is sticking where it can't release it would have to have some corrosion in the bore. With that many problems in that span of time, they shouldn't be corroded and that piston only moves with the ring rolling slightly - not a lot. There just isn't enough movement to bring on wear in the bore.

Usually with that many repairs on the same thing it turns out to be something else. I think I would look at the master cylinder and make sure it's the right one. A master cylinder for a drum brake used to have a residual check valve right at the line hook up. In a disc brake setup that check would cause heating in a disc brake.

You can check some of that by pumping the brakes up tight, release the pedal, then check for pressure at a bleeder a couple of times. There shouldn't be any, obviously.

Old 03-19-19, 04:57 AM
B
Received 88 Votes on 77 Posts
Based on the year and mileage, the vehicle isn't used much and/or often. I would remove each caliper and verify the slide pins move laterally and freely in their bore.If not, remove them and lubricate. There should be a dust boot at the start of the bore.

Old 03-19-19, 05:40 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I can't speak for Williams about his slide pins but all mine were free and grit free [the only off roading I do is on my driveway] I can't figure any reason for the calipers to go out so soon other than they were cheaply made.

Old 03-19-19, 12:25 PM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I agree with the others in that it could also be some issue with the master cylinder or even the brake lines. You could replace the flexible rubber ones with metal braided lines, but I'm not sure that would fix anything.

I went through multiple calipers on my '04 Tundra a couple years ago, and eventually realized it was the aftermarket wheels causing issues. They used acorn style lug nuts that weren't clamping the rim to the rotor tightly enough, and thus the rotor was not clamped to the hub tight enough, allowing play in the rotor and overheating the calipers. I went back to OEM Toyota rims and the original lug nuts and no more issues since. Assuming you have the factory wheels, be sure you are torquing them properly (not more or less) and that your rotors and hubs are true. Do you have a runout dial indicator?

Old 03-21-19, 08:28 PM
F
This thread bothered me as brake calipers should not repeatedly fail. Here is some interesting information. https://www.apcautotech.com/getmedia...ic_pistons.pdf

The Jeep uses calipers with a plastic internal piston. Should work, but seems prone to failure. I would go with Centric as a reliable brand, all calipers are not equal. Rock Auto lists about 40 different makes and grades of caliper at different price points for your Jeep, which tells you there must be differences in materials used, quality control, etc. https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...b,caliper,1704

If you have larger than stocks wheels and tires, as many Jeep owners do, you add alot of unsprung weight and can overtax the brakes, ie. they will get too hot and fry the seals and/or damage the plastic piston. A big brake kit is the solution of this is the problem. https://www.quadratec.com/p/stainles...ep-wrangler-jk

That said I would expect this problem on the front calipers which bear most of the braking force. Sio not sure why your rears are failing, unless the unsprung weight is such that all the calipers are overheating.

Is your car always stored outside in a damp area? Are the calipers all corroded when they are failing? If everything is rusted all to hell they can bind. The caliper surfaces which move ever so slightly when braking can benefit from a dab of antiseize, but most brake guys do this. The slider pins can get moisture in there and corrode, but not that quickly.

Old 03-22-19, 02:28 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
flatcrank, thanks for the interesting and informative link

I've always thought the majority of braking was done by the front and that has been my experience with other vehicles but on my Jeep the back brakes were completely gone at 50k. I didn't replace the front pads until 20k later and they still had life left in them.