A general question about bearings - there's different ratings, right?

Old 03-20-19, 07:16 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A general question about bearings - there's different ratings, right?

I got a windmill type of lawn decoration a couple years ago. they talked of stainless steel sealed bearings. Over a couple years, the blade rings started to develop a wobble. So much so that I thought the blades would hit each other.

I took the windmill down and the play was in the bearing races, NOT the bearing to shaft opening.

I bought some bearings of the same size that was stamped on the bearings (held in place with C clips).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looking now, they don't say stainless, but carbon instead.

Within a couple months, things fell apart - the bearings were gone and the blades were hitting each other.

replaced with the same bearings and within a couple weeks, tehre's serious wobble again.

Are there different grades for the same size bearings? Any recommendation on what I need / where to get them for this? It's 'just' a windmill.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xmq2xo6t8l...16.12.mov?dl=0

THANKS!

Old 03-20-19, 07:35 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 906 Votes on 834 Posts
Just like tire or clothing sizes a bearing size is just a size. In many cases it does not specify what a bearing is made of, how it's sealed or how it's lubricated. I would look for a sealed, stainless steel 608 bearing instead. Avoid bearings intended for roller blades or skate boards and those advertising "free spinning".

A shielded bearing like you linked is not a great choice for out doors. There is a metal shield to help protect the bearing but it's pretty loose protection and the bearing is not sealed. Meaning water and the elements can get inside the bearing. It was probably chosen because shielded bearings can turn more freely than a sealed bearing which would allow the windmill to turn more easily.

Old 03-20-19, 07:59 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Lawn decoration type of bearings probably aren't made to last more than one season.They make bearings with plastic ball bearings, I have a wind type of weather vane made like that, and it has been running about 8 or 10 years with no complaints.
Sid

Old 03-20-19, 02:32 PM
E
yes, this had metal bearings and I asked at a show this month about buying replacment bearings from them. They were in supposed disbelief that it only lasted 2 years.

We did mount it on top of a bird feeder - 15 feet off the ground so it's seeing more wind than if we stuck it in the ground / 4' off the ground as originally sold?

What do you think of this:

https://www.amazon.com/S608-2RS-Seal.../dp/B002BBKOAW

it says sealed. but is there a hardness level I should be looking for? The original bearing said 608zz vs. this that says 608-2rs. Anyone know what the numbers / letter mean? 608 is the material? stainless? 2rs - 2 side sealed?

Old 03-20-19, 02:46 PM
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
My experience with lawn ornaments is that the bearing is held in place by cheap tin settingthat fails instead of the bearing itself. On mine, the bearing fell out after the cheap tin setting gave away. when I picked up the bearing and I looked at it, I did think the bearing it failed because it was a wobbly bearing but I was wrong because the bearing was working fine with the wobble built in. That is when I noticed the cheap stamps deal housing had fallen apart which caused the bearing to fall out. The thin steel race could not even be repaired because it was so thin

Old 03-20-19, 03:03 PM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
2-rs means 2 rubber seals.
Sid

Old 03-20-19, 03:36 PM
M
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
Are both the mills on the same hub or independent of each other to get a different rotation - larger to smaller? That would be with one bearing to each rotating windmill.

If you could post a close up picture of the hub ends and center, it would help.

Old 03-20-19, 03:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,524 Votes on 1,407 Posts
2 RS does mean rubber seals but doesn't make them waterproof.... they're water and dust resistant. Pumps.... especially pool pumps.... use double sealed bearing but without a water slinger.... the bearing would take on water.

Old 03-20-19, 04:28 PM
Received 502 Votes on 466 Posts
Go to MacMaster Carr, they carry everything and you will find the bearing you need!

https://www.mcmaster.com/

Old 03-23-19, 11:26 AM
F
Choices

For a low load application, some of the plastic bearings will do the job where water actually acts a lubricant.. The fishing reel guys like waterproof or water tolerant items, looks like you need to experiment a bit and see what withstands the environment you are in.

https://www.bocabearings.com/product...&ProductType=0

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: