1973 Cadillac (472 Engine) Ignition Problems

Old 04-12-19, 12:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1973 Cadillac (472 Engine) Ignition Problems

Hello,
I need some ignition advice on my 1973 Caddy. The coil was tested good, when I turn the ignition on I have 12 volts at the positive and negative sides of the coil, I crank it and not getting any spark, I am spraying starting fluid into carb, so think I should at least get it to fire. The car sat for 2 years. Not sure how to continue to troubleshoot it.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-19, 01:38 PM
A
Received 67 Votes on 61 Posts
After sitting for two years the oil has already run down the cylinders so I wouldn't spray any more starting fluid, at least until you know that you have spark. I can't remember when various vehicles went electronic, but if it has points have you removed the cap and watched for spark across the points while cranking it? If it's electronic, it's probably in the era when I seem to recall distributor caps being relatively short lived.

Old 04-12-19, 01:39 PM
A
Received 16 Votes on 15 Posts
need to look at why it does not have spark crank the engine over with cap off see if rotor is turning on electronic ignition there is a pickup coil and module either one could cause no spark, on points ignition points and condensor could cause an issue.

Old 04-12-19, 02:27 PM
This has points, I will try your suggestions and see what happens. Thanks

Old 04-12-19, 03:01 PM
E
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
With ignition switch turned ON one terminal of the coil has 12V relative to ground. But with the engine stopped, the other terminal of the coil will have 12V if the points are open, and it will have 0V if the points are closed.
If the points have a bad connection the points won't pull the voltage down to 0V when they're closed.

Old 04-13-19, 09:14 AM
Thank you to everyone for your advise.