Starting car for first time in 2+ yrs

Old 05-29-19, 01:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Starting car for first time in 2+ yrs

Hey guys,
I recently gained possession of a 2006 Nissan Maxima that has been sitting unused and uncranked for 2+ years. This is my Mom's car and she has health issues that has kept her from needing it but I want to see if I can get it going again. She said it was running ok when she stopped using it, but she had to replace the transmission about a year earlier. My question is, besides putting in a new battery and probably replacing the gas that was left inside, what else should I do before trying to start it?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-19, 01:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
I'd pull the plugs and put a spoonful or so of oil down each cylinder and let it set for a day first.
Depending on how the gas fared you might need to clean the lines and replace the filter.

Old 05-29-19, 02:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 194 Votes on 180 Posts
I doubt you need to do anything special other than charging or replacing the battery.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 05-29-19, 03:16 PM
Ok, thanks guys and if anyone else has any recommendations i'd love to hear them. Looks like maybe I thought this was a bigger deal than it is.

Old 05-29-19, 04:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 194 Votes on 180 Posts
If it was a 51 Chevy you would probably need to do more. Modern fuel injected cars I don't think I would be worried about. Especially if its been in a garage.

Old 05-29-19, 05:01 PM
Received 94 Votes on 85 Posts
I'd pull the plugs and put a spoonful or so of oil down each cylinder and let it set for a day first.

If you go to this level, give if 20 seconds of crank without the plugs installed to get some oil into the rings and on the walls!

Old 05-30-19, 05:44 AM
Group Moderator
Received 29 Votes on 23 Posts
Nobody asked, so I will: What was the fuel level in the tank? Full would be better than, for instance, 1/4 tank although you could argue that if it was almost empty filling it up would dilute any gas that was not up to par. Wouldn't hurt to pour in a drier product like "Heet" to handle any moisture. And I agree with the suggestions to "lube" the cylinders.

Of course, PROFESSIONALLY, I would recommend towing it to your mechanic.

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 05-30-19, 06:09 AM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Personally, I'd have done dry start with oil in cylinders. Disable ignition by pulling fuse, pull plugs, put some oil inside, check plugs status same time, then crank engine a few times with plugs out. Just to re lubricate cylinders and pistons. Clean or replace plugs, based on their current condition, then fire away. She'll smoke some, but it'll go away. DO NOT REV! Run her for some time, then replace oil.

pearljammer voted this post useful.
Old 05-30-19, 04:26 PM
Not sure on the fuel level, but i'll check it out. Thanks for the tip.

Old 05-30-19, 11:14 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If you really wanted to be safe, drain the fuel in the tank and start with all fresh fuel. Diluting by filling the tank may be ok, too. Might be a good idea to change the fuel filter. Ethanol in gas tends to create a crystallized mess when it sits for too long. On the Maxima the filter shouldn't be too hard to get to.

I'd suggest adding some fuel stabilizer to the full fuel tank in case the car ends up stored again. I have a car that I rarely drive and with a battery tender on it, it will fire up instantly. Keeping a fuel log when I gas up, I realized the last time I filled up was more than two years ago (but I added stabilizer so all was well).