Paying it forward - the rare and elusive Acura RDX lock

Old 06-07-19, 01:28 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Paying it forward - the rare and elusive Acura RDX lock

To help others....

Regarding the infamous Acura RDX center console lock latch knob, part number 83417-TX4-A01, and the elusive spring that you also need, but can't buy anywhere... Here's a lifeline, some high quality/high resolution pictures alongside a tape measure..

The background is: If/when your Acura RDX console latch breaks, you buy a new one. The new one does NOT come with the accompanying spring. And if you lost the spring, you would have to hypothetically buy a whole new console, there's no other way to buy the spring. So, (a) SAVE THAT SPRING, but (b) if it's too late, here's a little hope.

I myself thought I had lost the spring, it was some good luck that I found it. So, I decided to share some high resolution pictures, since they were (until now) non-existent anywhere on the internet. (Trust me, I tried!)

Pictures: https://1drv.ms/f/s!Anl-vA0RiSI_g6pEqlCc5pRnYwZsnA

So, with these pictures:
- Take a large paper clip, or even maybe a cut off stretch of the wire from wire hanger (hint: The paper clip is probably slightly too weak, but will do O.K.; the wire hanger is probably a bit too strong. Perhaps a trip to the hardware store to find the perfect size/stiffness strip of metal?)
- Wind it/Coil it around a BIC pen or similarly diametered piece of something, make it roughly the same size as the real spring
- And get the angles and lengths of the two prongs about right (perhaps clip with pliers rather than uncoiling/recoiling to get the angles right

And good luck! I hope this helps someone one day.

Old 06-07-19, 03:15 PM
Received 46 Upvotes on 37 Posts
Here's your spring. Just cut it as you need to

https://previews.123rf.com/images/eu...n-on-white.jpg

Old 06-08-19, 12:56 AM
Thanks. I think, there are lots of creative ways a person could find a suitable replacement.

In my case, I found the spring after two days of thinking I had thrown it out by accident, so the real issue is that until this post, there wasn't a single good picture of the spring anywhere on the entire internet (I looked, and I reached the end of the internet!)

So, this post isn't for everyone. But for the person who owns the 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, or 2018 Acura RDX, 2nd / second generation 2 Gen 2 RDX who inadvertently tossed out their spring, this is hopefully going to be very helpful to them.

Old 06-08-19, 02:17 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,182 Upvotes on 1,140 Posts
this post isn't for everyone. But for the person who owns ... this is hopefully going to be very helpful to them
Nope. This thread will slowly sink further and further down the list in the sub-topic and when someone actually has this issue they'll simply post a question in a new thread asking about it. Sorry, while I think your intentions were good, it doesn't work the way you think it does around here.

Old 06-08-19, 06:36 AM
@stickshift, you're right and wrong both. Someone reading here, a general forum for all models, it's definitely unlikely that on this particular Saturday morning in June 2019 that a person with a broken latch will be reading right now. However, doityourself.com does quite well for itself in Google/Bing searches, so as time passes, the person with an Acura RDX who lost their spring will do searches, and come across this post. (Notice my expert SEO optimization in the previous post.. ;-)

Thanks

Old 03-30-20, 10:29 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile Paying it forward aslo

I was going to attempt to make my own, thank you for the instructions and photos, but I decided I was going to be lazy and just order one off Ebay.*********. Wanted to share in case anyone else is lazy or too busy and wants an easy way out. Spring has worked great so far. Not really a complicated piece of hardware so I don't foresee having any issues. Good luck.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 03-30-20 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Link removed.
Old 03-30-20, 11:06 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,338 Upvotes on 2,997 Posts
Thanks for the additional information.

As seen by the thread views this is a hot topic. This thread will remain in our permanent archives and will be seen in searches on the subject. Feel free to start a new thread if more information is needed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: