2012 Juke Main Current Sensor issue?

Old 06-18-19, 07:23 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2012 Juke Main Current Sensor issue?

We have a 2012 Nissan Juke, auto, 117k, 1.6 turbo. We've gone through 3 batteries in 6 years and each time both the battery and alternator tested fine - but since we couldn't figure out why the battery kept dying we changed the batteries and that seemed to fix the problem for a while (two years). This time when the battery died I charged it up and tested it and the alt. - they tested fine in my driveway, but this time I put one of those volt meters in the cigarette lighter and drove around and although it started reading fine (14.5 volts) - like it did when I tested in my driveway, after about 5-10 minutes the volts would drop down to 12.2 and my wife even saw it below 12 - and staying around there. So I figured I'd change the alternator - but I was still unsure because if it was the alt. , how could it read 14.5 sometimes? After reading the manual about how to replace the alternator I saw how this car has a system where if it detects that the battery is fully charged it will tell the alternator to limit the charging of the battery (to save gas). Well, I disconnected the main current sensor (at the negative battery terminal) and now the meter reads a steady 14.5 +/- no matter how long I drive (but I'm still testing). So a couple of questions: Will driving around with the alt putting out 14.5 +/- all the time cause harm? Is this current sensor system connected to other systems and so disconnecting it will mess something else up? I figure at some point I will set an error code, but what are the downsides to driving like this? Has anyone else had this problem and what was your fix? Could this really be the solution or am I fooling myself? FYI - Nissan wants a couple of hundred dollars for a replacement part (so that is out of the question) and Nissan does have a TSB about dead batteries caused by the computer software but the dealer says it doesn't apply to my VIN.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-19, 08:37 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
One final point

One final point - when the alt was putting out only 12 volts, could this have been okay since I had just fully charged the battery and maybe this current sensor system saw that the battery didn't need any more charging so stopped charging the battery (and this would save gas (the whole purpose of the system)? I can't believe driving around with an alt putting out only 12 volts is fine, but could it have been?

Old 06-18-19, 06:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 514 Votes on 484 Posts
In my opinion....... having the computer turning the alternator on and off to save on fuel mileage is one of the most stupidest things I have heard of. The alternator has a built in regulator that is designed to keep the battery full and at a particular level. I can't imagine driving down the road at night and having the lights run brighter and dimmer.

In the video below the guy discusses how to disable that feature.
Video on bypassing