Grease gun operation

Old 07-05-19, 08:15 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Grease gun operation

Strange it will be but I have to ask.
I have a grease gun, manual, that apparently does not work. As in - I can't force grease into zirk.
Gun is few years old and was used probably 30 times. It worked fine initially, but say yesterday, I had 2 new UBJs installed and could not pre grease them in a vise.
Before I go and buy a new gun, I have silly question.
Do I have to force coupler onto zirk all the way while pumping or, simply couple it and pump?
Grease is coming out of coupler nozzle from handle pressure. Not the pump handle, the one in the back of the tube that you push into the tube to move grease forward.
Pump handle produces no resistance when pumping. I had my entire weight on it - joint bellow does not expand at all. I had to drive to work but by the time I got into garage, I ended with rubbing noise while turning SW. I have no idea if they pre grease BJs from the factory. So I am blaming it on BJ not being greased properly.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-19, 09:04 AM
Received 52 Votes on 47 Posts
I would never assume that a joint like that is pre-greased, at least not adequately, and even if it were that would not prevent it from taking grease. You'll feel when the coupler latches onto the zerk, and that's as far as it needs to go. Can you push the plunger handle in? Usually anyway, one end of the cartridge has a cap that just slips off and the other end is attached and you pull it off like a pop or beer can. The end that you pull off has a lip, so wondering if you have the cartridge in backward maybe the follower is hung up there. Might need bleeding too; is there a bolt or screw on the neck just before the nozzle? If so, I would try pulling the handle open, loosen that bolt or scrwew, then close the handle and retighten it. Not sure I would take it all the way out though, except being real careful, because there could be a ball and spring under it.

Old 07-05-19, 09:15 AM
Mine is real basic gun, one that you pack with grease.
Those joints do come pre greased, just not with a lot. MOOG comes full greased. Master Pro some grease. I called.
So I do not have to press hard on coupler or do anything weird to make it work. Coupler hooks up fine.
Wish I remembered where I got it from. Might have been all men cheap store - HFT.

Old 07-05-19, 09:32 AM
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Do I have to force coupler onto zirk all the way while pumping or, simply couple it and pump?
Should be able to snap the end of the coupler onto zirk, it will hold itself, then pump!

Pump handle produces no resistance when pumping.
I assume this is a cartridge gun, you pulled the handle all the way back, compressing the spring, installed a new cartridge, then pushed the handle all the way into the cartridge of grease?

On some there is a air bleed screw near the top it can keep the grease from flowing into the pump!

Old 07-05-19, 09:36 AM
No, it's basic gun that you pack with grease from the pump end. Plunger has rubber "skirt" that moves grease forward.
Grease comes out from plunger pressure.
When on zerk, you can pump handle all you want to, there is not resistance - as it should.
Maybe it is air. Donno, I am at work....But should there be air - then grease should not be coming out the nozzle, from plunger push, right?
It's like pump is working - just not punching through the zirk ball ....grease comes out on coupler sides but does not go into zirk itself.

Old 07-05-19, 09:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 90 Posts
It's like pump is working - just not punching through the zirk ball ....grease comes out on coupler sides but does not go into zirk itself.
That sounds like a zirk fitting issues, it either needs to be cleaned or replaced.

Old 07-05-19, 10:04 AM
Brand new. ................................................

Old 07-05-19, 10:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 90 Posts
If the grease is coming out of the gun but not thru the zirk fitting the fitting must be plugged - might be a piece of trash from manufacturing.

Old 07-05-19, 10:29 AM
All of them? ..........................

Old 07-05-19, 01:17 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
So the gun is pumping grease but it's going on the outside of the zerk instead of through the zerk?

The coupler on a grease gun is autolocking. The grease pressure forces the jaws in below the zerk ball. That holds it in place while you push grease through the zerk.

It sounds like you haven't pushed the grease gun coupler down fully on the zerk. You may have to align it a little to get it to take grease. Also it may be a problem that the coupler on the gun doesn't fit in the space around the zerk.

For that you can change the end coupler on the gun to a needle nozzle. Then push the point of the gun end down on the ball of the zerk and pump grease through it.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.

Last edited by marbobj; 07-05-19 at 03:47 PM.
Old 07-05-19, 04:09 PM
Received 15 Votes on 15 Posts
Hi, unthread a fitting and see if grease will pass through .
Geo

Old 07-06-19, 06:51 AM
Bought new grease gun yesterday. Pumped UBJs with grease in 5 min right there, in parking lot. Fortunately, Grand Marquis lets you get to UBJs from the top easily.
So it's my old grease gun.. I'll take it apart out of curiosity...

Old 07-07-19, 04:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
Put a new end on old gun and should work. Most of those come apart and can be cleaned.

marksr voted this post useful.
Old 07-07-19, 06:48 AM
Pump doesn't work. Does not pump. I had my hands on it yesterday. If you press on plunger handle, grease will come out but pressure is not enough to pump through zirk ball.
otherwise, pump itself is in free motion. Nothing come out. Yes, I had bleeder screw out, it's all packed with grease. Simply doesn't pump. Oh well. Though it's handy, as it's small and is 90 degree angle. I'll have to get flexible nozzle for the new one.