1996 Toyota Corolla: SRS light misbehaving

Old 07-13-19, 12:44 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 1996 Toyota Corolla: SRS light misbehaving

My 1996 Toyota Corolla SRS warning light is behaving in a funny way. In a normal case, when the car is just turned on, the light should come on for a few seconds then turn off for the whole duration of the drive. But in my case, it can behave in either of these two ways:

- One, it may not turn on at all from the beginning when the key was put on ACC/ON position then the engine started.

- Two, it may turn on for a long time, like 5 minutes or sometimes more, then eventually it will gradually fade off. This is rarely happening, but usually when I haven't used the car for a few days, this appears.

Does anyone know what this means? Dealer wants to charge an upward $400 to have this mystery solved so I figured it is best to tap on some knowledge before deciding what next. If you have some idea or suggestions on what to try/how to find the culprit, I'd appreciate it!

Some research on the web revealed some likely cuplrit. For example, here: https://www.airbagcenter.com/airbag_light_is_on.aspx . I would like to believe that the cause is rather simple, but who knows...

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-19, 05:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 24 Votes on 21 Posts
One of the other mechanical guys may have some ideas, but for the most part airbag systems have very little that you can do DIY. Some of the troubleshooting may involve dealer-proprietary equipment, but it's worth checking around with some independents to see if there is anything that can be done. The independents may save you some money. As an added note, SRS is not something to play around with as an uncontrolled deployment can be hazardous to your health.

Old 07-14-19, 06:51 AM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
No CEL light, right? AB should throw a code.
You need CAN/BUS reader to read AB codes.
I'd start with locating AB/ABS system fuses and pulling them out just to reset system.
Not sure for 96, but there should be sensors in the seat, reading occupant weight in it. Considering age...
You sure it was not in accident and repaired?

Old 07-14-19, 12:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 24 Votes on 21 Posts
Would a '96 have seat sensors, Igor? I thought that would be too old for them.

Old 07-14-19, 03:25 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
That's what I said... but who knows. SRS safety is much so relevant on proper occupant position in the seat. That's why I said - not sure for the year....