Catalytic Converter theft prevention

Old 07-19-19, 07:03 PM
Upvotes Received: 3
Catalytic Converter theft prevention

We have had a run of cat converter thefts in our neighborhood recently. I have two cars and a truck that have to sit outside. Is there a cat theft lock that works better than another? Anyone made one of their own?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-19, 07:07 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 131
Try researching car alarms. Louder the better.

Old 07-19-19, 07:45 PM
Upvotes Received: 3
The 2012 Ram and the 2007 Chrysler 300 both have stock alarm systems, and I know they are noisy if you open the wrong door or use the wrong key, Never thought about a thief under the car with a power saw. Think that will trip the alarm?

Old 07-19-19, 09:09 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 214
Think that will trip the alarm?
Nope.

They no longer install any type of OEM motion or sound sensor due to false alarms. You could get an aftermarket sensor to be added on to the factory alarm but the biggest problem is getting it sensitive enough to be effective but not too sensitive to create false alarms.

I really can't think of a way to protect a cat except for maybe installing a grated shield around it.

Old 07-20-19, 02:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 74
Maybe install lights to cover the vehicles, basically whatever you can do to make your cars [or location] unattractive to the thieves.

Locally we had the same issue a number of yrs back. Car lots where hit the hardest. I think they made changes to how they could be sold to recylers before things got better.

Old 07-20-19, 04:09 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 131
Like PJMax said, look into aftermarket alarms like Viper Invisbeam. Probably cost more than your cat.

Old 07-20-19, 05:29 AM
Upvotes Received: 44
As stated, and as unfortunate as it is, nothing stock on the vehicle is going to prevent it. As any insurance company or police agency will tell you, and you already know anyway, lighting can be a deterrent, but it's far from 100%. Google "catalytic theft dealership" and you'll find any number of dealerships that have fallen victim to dozens of such thefts in a single night. Almost all of those lots are lit much more than what you would want in your driveway, many have fences, a lot of them are patrolled, and the thieves still get in. For something reasonably priced with what I would rate fairly effective you might try a driveway detector that would alert you to motion in that area.