Ford pro's here today?: 2013 Fiesta

Old 09-03-19, 11:22 AM
Group Moderator
Received 29 Votes on 23 Posts
Ford pro's here today?: 2013 Fiesta

Didn't find anything like this so thought I would put it out there:

Sister has a 2013 Fiesta [don't blame me, I told her not to buy it 5 years ago]. Has already been in Ford garage twice for tranny issues, but has worked okay for last 3 years or so since the tranny was replaced. Now at ~75K miles. Today she goes out for lunch and gets back in car to leave, sits for a few minutes and then hears a fairly loud bang from under hood (more or less). Now no drive in fwd or rev. Had her try rolling car in neutral and park. Rolls in N, not in P, so linkage okay. My long distance diagnosis is tranny let go internally. Told her to have it towed to Ford. Perhaps the main belt/chain inside broke? Anyone seen this particular failure mode?

Thanks.

tg

Sponsored Links

Popular Reply

09-07-19, 02:39 AM
the_tow_guy
Group Moderator
Some positive news maybe. She got a call late in the day from service writer that it looked like it would be covered. Fingers crossed.

Old 09-03-19, 11:47 AM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
not sure there is a chain or belt the power shift was a 2 clutch manual transmission that was computer controlled like an automatic and they did apparently have a lot of problems with them. maybe it will be repaired under warranty but might suggest trading it off for something more reliable.

Old 09-03-19, 11:55 AM
Received 95 Votes on 86 Posts
Google Detroit Free Press Ford Transmission.

The paper just ran an investigative story on the transmissions recently.

I believe the exposure prompted Ford to extend repairs, was an interesting series of articles.

https://www.freep.com/in-depth/money...ct/1671198001/

Old 09-03-19, 01:52 PM
Group Moderator
Near as I can tell it's been extended to 7 year/100k miles, thankfully. Not sure if she'll ditch it when it's fixed. Problem is nobody's going to want it and trade-in value will be crap. I'm guessing she'll just drive it until it's past whatever extended warranty Ford has put on it and then just junk it.

That is a good read, Marq; I saw the story when I was surfing earlier but didn't read until now. Not one of Ford's better products; kind of rates right up there with the early 90's Taurus/Sable engine/tranny problems.

Old 09-03-19, 01:58 PM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
trade in value is probably low but could say that about most cars still probably more than scrap, could always sell it outright if you wanted to get the most out of it.

Old 09-03-19, 01:59 PM
Received 61 Votes on 57 Posts
Yes, as a former (and happy owner of a Fiesta) the tranny was/is a problem. However I'm betting Ford will cover. The car is a good little vehicle once the tranny problems are resolved. I thought it was a fun car to drive.

Old 09-03-19, 02:04 PM
Group Moderator
Last year she had to have about $1200 ac repair done in addition to the (now) third (or fourth, I lost track) tranny issue, so I don't think she has a very high opinion of it.

Old 09-05-19, 06:28 AM
Group Moderator
Okay, this is weird. Sis gets a call from Ford service department. When the tech opened the hood he found 3 plug wires disconnected. The service writer asked for the "real story" and who had been under the hood. FYI, nobody opened the hood; she saw it loaded where it died and unloaded at Ford. I suggested she call and talk directly to the service manager. I did not care for the tone of the question she was asked and what was being suggested, although I mentioned that garages see vehicles all the time that have been tinkered with prior to them arriving at the repair shop.

SO, service manager agreed the service writer's language may have been less than helpful (also mentioned the DIY-er syndrome). He added that when they reconnected the plug wires it ran fine. So I said, yeah but did they put it in gear? Sis said, yes, put it in gear and it goes forward and reverse. Service manager said they are going to thoroughly check it out.

Okay, so I've heard of and seen spark plug blow-outs before, but spark plug wires/boots? That's a new one. Anybody heard/seen this before???

Old 09-05-19, 09:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
maybe the last time they worked on the transmission it didn't get fully plugged in so it could lock ?

Old 09-05-19, 09:46 AM
I've had tow guys try to tinker with the car instead of just doing their job and tow it. On several occasions I've had to specifically tell them not to try to start the car or open the hood. O ne guy (and it was the Fiesta) get mad at me when I told him do not try to move it on it's own power or to tinker with it per Ford instructions just flatbed it and be deliver it. I told him to go home.

Old 09-05-19, 02:00 PM
Group Moderator
I'm like you. Only time I open a hood is if I'm there for a jump start. In this case there was "0" chance the tow guy (or anybody else) got under the hood.

Sis called me again just before lunch to say Ford had called her again and now says there was coolant in the cylinders (?) They're charging her $100 for what diagnostics were done so far, but say that to diagnose further will require them to do a tear down (presumably they are talking about pulling the head). I'm having a hard time connecting the dots here (keeping in mind I'm getting this second and third hand) and also imagining they didn't do further testing to confirm or eliminate head gasket (still can't see the leap from there to blowing off plug wires/boots). She ended the call when she said Ford was calling her back again. That was this morning and she didn't call back yet.

Stay tuned for more.

Old 09-06-19, 12:24 PM
Group Moderator
Today's update: Ford dealer now says head needs to be replaced because it is porous and allowing coolant leakage (they still have no clue as to the blowing plug wires off and loud bang that started this whole episode). She is going to ask for it to be done under warranty (they're talking $3K or so for a repair), but I expect they'll say no at the local level. Car has Ford certified pre-owned warranty of 75,000 miles and it is at 77,800. Next she'll be calling Ford's 800# and pleading her case. I'm not a metallurgist, but sounds like manufacturing materials/process defect to me, if it in fact is what they have diagnosed.

Stay tuned.

Old 09-06-19, 05:03 PM
Get it fix and unload it asap.

Old 09-07-19, 02:39 AM
Group Moderator
Some positive news maybe. She got a call late in the day from service writer that it looked like it would be covered. Fingers crossed.

CasualJoe, Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 09-07-19, 03:47 AM
I use to belong to the Fiesta Faction forum. Great people. She might want to join and get feed back from the many people there.

Old 09-08-19, 07:34 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks, Norm, I'll pass that along. MAN! was she stressing last week!

Old 09-18-19, 01:20 PM
Group Moderator
New update. Upon further investigation they allegedly found a leaking freeze plug in the head. Fixed same and she picked it up this morning, $107 for the x-warranty deductible. Called me as she was leaving the dealership and expressed some anxiety about what it, what if. I told her to just drive it and see; they had it for two weeks so presumably they've got it fixed.

And 20 minutes later she called back, service engine light on <10 miles down the road. Told her to pull over and call the dealership before driving it any further. They told her to come back. Fast forward to this afternoon, they called and told her the check engine was for the CAT and they were going to replace it which she relayed to me just now. Advised her that (a) the cat is covered under the factory warranty so don't let them charge you a deductible on THAT, and (b) call the Ford Customer Care 1-800 number and tell them this entire story, in minute detail, starting from the first symptom in the parking lot on 9-03 in order to, among other things, get it all on the record when this comes up again after x-warranty has expired. Mileage on the x-warranty has 23k more miles, but calendar-wise it ends the middle of January.

Side note: Car had the cat code after they were done with it and they reset it and test drove it. I told her they obviously didn't drive it enough. My educated guess is that there is something going on that they have not yet actually uncovered

What a soup sandwich.

Old 09-18-19, 01:36 PM
I would tell them (not ask) to test drive the car for two days and not less than 20 miles.
Tell the service manger to take it home. If he's confident enough that it's fixed, then he won't have a problem in doing that.

Old 09-19-19, 08:12 AM
Group Moderator
Already suggested similar. Also suggested the website you mentioned in previous post. She called the 1-800 Ford Customer Care line and got somewhat frustrated because she didn't realize that is just a line to make an initial report and not to take down all the details, but she got it figured out and she is supposed to be contacted by a regional investigator [hopefully not the same one who was involved - AFAWK - in the diagnosis & repair].

Old 09-24-19, 09:33 AM
Group Moderator
Latest update:

Come to find out there's a TSB concerning the CAT. I'm guessing the other issue(s) triggered the light and when they investigated found it wasn't up to spec re: the TSB.

My tow buddy showed me a video that shows work being done in this area. He said he has never seen a head arrangement like this one. Side note: I'm used to the Toyota DOHC 4 cylinder setup where the valve cover encases one big cam compartment and the spark plugs are each in their own little spark plug tube, sealed at the bottom to keep oil out of the well. This Ford 1.6L is set up different and we can see where it might be possible for a coolant leak to build pressure and blow multiple plug boots/wires out. Video showing setup here:

https://youtu.be/w8j7-pBqpHY?t=248 (starts in mid video).

So, couple of mysteries maybe solved. NOW the big question is about the original RO for the coolant leak only referring to replacing ONE freeze plug. Seriously???

She's going to question that with the local service manager. Also she's still going to address entire episode with Ford Customer Care, been playing phone tag.

Old 09-24-19, 11:45 AM
Group Moderator
So she leaves ANOTHER voice mail for the service manager asking the freeze plugs question. This call is AGAIN returned by the SERVICE WRITER! She states, "We replaced the freeze plug that NEEDED to be replaced per the investigators finding".

This would be funny if it wasn't so ridiculously stupid. I told her to ask them when a car comes in for a misfire and they find a bad plug wire, do they just replace that one bad plug wire???

Old 09-24-19, 02:30 PM
I think in this case a freeze plug should not be repalced unless it clearly is leaking. Unlike a set a spark plug wires where if you replace one you replace them all. But I would put them on notice that she should expect all the freeze plugs to be warranted as the new one.

Old 09-25-19, 04:29 AM
Group Moderator
Not going to happen unfortunately. Customer Care finally got up with her. They will extend no warranty other than on the new CAT [she's just clear of the Certified used car warranty and also at the end of the extended warranty on that problematic CVT transmission]. They are going to give her a 3 year/45,000 mile maintenance agreement, so she gets free oil changes and brake jobs, etc. Explained to her, however, that nothing will be covered for repairs. We'll have to agree to disagree on the freeze plug question. I think if you polled all the mechanics the majority would opt to do both OR at the very least explain it to customer to give them a chance to have it done as "insurance"; 5 minute job and a 5 cent part once you've already gained access. Maybe some of the other wrench-turners will chime in.

Basically told her now she has two choices, suck it up and trade in for something better [tried to steer her toward a Corolla 4 years ago when she bought the Fiesta] and get SOME value (not much) back out of it or drive it until it suffers a fatal breakdown and then junk it for "0". It's a crap shoot, might last another 5 years, might break down in 5 months. Who knows.

Old 09-25-19, 07:20 AM
I agree with you, trade it in and get something for it. If she trades on another Ford she may get a bit more on a deal.