Sort of a rant and question. Should I change oil immediatly

Old 09-08-19, 06:39 AM
Received 60 Votes on 57 Posts
Angry Sort of a rant and question. Should I change oil immediatly

Maybe the mods should put this in the rant category.

I have 2017 Chevy Travisty SUV. It's my work horse vehicle used for several tows a year and hauling whatever I need. I don't particularly like the car but it does the job.

Had my last oil change at 9500 miles by a certified GM shop (not the dealer) back in February . They use GM specified all syn oil. I trust this shop explicitly as they have done lots of work for me on other cars.

Over two weeks ago my "change oil soon" message came up on the information center. Because I wanted to have the tires rotated and all fluids check and the dealer had a special oil change price, I decided to make an appointment with them for the oil change. I now have nearly 13,000 miles on it.

The best date they were able to fit me in was Sept 13. It seemed like a long interval but my reasoning was that because it's synthetic oil, it has a long mileage life and the extra time involved should be OK. Besides the "timer" warning is based on time and not actual oil integrity, or so I was told by the dealer when car was purchased and by many other "experts" in the field. But I do believe synthetic oil can go an easy 10k even with hard use.

Now I'm having second thoughts if I did the right thing. But since it's only 6 days away at this point it's not a big deal.

My rant part of this post is that the best the dealer can do is 4 weeks appointments for an oil change to maintain the warranty? That stinks and it bugs me. It seems to me that a dealer should make appropriate conditions to have quick service oil changes to maintain warranties. And oil changes should not be tied into the same schedule as other service work. Since there are hundreds of quick lube places that don't even need appointments, why can't a dealer that begs to do your service work have a quick oil change?

Note this dealer is the largest dealer in the state that has all brands and makes of cars. This includes, Ford, GMC and almost all foreign brands. They are also very prominent in other states around the country. Clearly too big to care about the customer! In the future I'll go back to my trusted shop.

PS...I've had problems with this dealership in the past and know many other people that have also. I wish I could publish the name but I think it's against the rules for this type of thing. So why did I buy the car from them? That's a whole other story worthy of another post.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-19, 06:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
I try to stay away from dealership service depts but locally they usually do oil changes the same day, I couldn't imagine one making an appointment for more than a day or later.

Old 09-08-19, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
The chevys are based on time, temp, starts, etc. You can have oil changed anywhere and still have warranty honored AFAIK. You dont need to take it to dealer specific sites.

13k is a lot of miles IMO ever for synthetics.

If you wanted to take to dealer only, almost all dealers I know have fast while you wait oil changes. Heck take it to ford, nissan, or any other dealer for that matter. One of them would of accommodated you.

is your rant falling on deaf ears? IDK. Look and say to yourself whos fault is it?

Just my opinion though...

Old 09-08-19, 08:46 AM
Mike, of course it's my fault.

As far as the oil goes I really don't have a problem. So many opinions from so many experts. Early oil changes never do any harm. But from all the talk from experts syn oil can take a lot. I'll go with that. But I can't get a true or confident answer about what the oil monitor actually does. Again GM experts and others, (forums, garages, dealer) tell me only a "time" monitor, not any other analysis takes place, be it temp, starts or impurities. Maybe you heard different. By the way according to mileage rating the next oil change is due at 14600 miles.

My rant is with this dealer ship. They're big and as far as I'm concerned not user friendly. I've seen first hand how they treated women. Not a pretty picture. And the sales force is not to my liking. I could've and should've bought a Ford from my other smaller dealership that I normally buy cars from. But when I first looked at Ford I got sticker shock and kind of dismissed them. Long and short of it, after everything was said and done, what I paid for this Travesty I could've bought a Ford!

Don't get me wrong the car itself is good and has a good reputation, it does the job but it's not a cold weather car as far as I'm concerned. That is the general consensus even on the Chevy forum. And I'm comparing it to the several Chevy/GMC vans I had in the past. Sorry I got rid of the last one. It just isn't to my personal liking. Hopefully I'll trade it in in another year or two.

Then I can rant about the Ford!

Old 09-08-19, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator
For what its worth on my silverado it often comes on at the 8000 mile mark. But I run up to 10000 miles. I am in warm climate. There is a fudge factor.. But when I get up there I am often 1/2 a quart low. And I look at how dirty it is.. often its still clean enough I keep going. And/or I add that 1/2 a quart.

also my 2006 the light only comes on at 0%. I assume there is a fudge factor built in.

How the Chevrolet Oil Life Monitor (OLM) system works and what to expect
The Chevrolet Oil Life Monitor (OLM) system is not a simple oil quality sensor, but a software-based, algorithm-driven device that takes into account various operating conditions of the engine to determine when the oil needs changing. Certain driving habits can affect the life of the oil, as well as driving conditions such as temperature and driving terrain. Lighter, more moderate driving conditions and temperature will require less frequent oil changes and maintenance, while more severe driving conditions will require more frequent oil changes and maintenance. Read the table below to see how the OLM system determines oil life:

The oil life meter is located on the information display on the dashboard, and will count down from 100% oil life to 0% oil life as you continue to drive the vehicle, at which point the computer will trigger a reminder for you to “Change Engine Oil Soon.” Around the 15% oil life threshold, the computer will remind you that an “Oil Change Is Required,” giving you ample time to plan ahead to have your vehicle serviced. It is important not to wait to have your vehicle serviced, especially once the indicator reads 0% oil life. If you do wait and servicing is overdue, you risk severe damage to the engine - which could leave you stranded or worse. GM recommends that an oil change should be completed within two fuel tank fill-ups from when the first message was displayed.

The following table outlines what the information on your dashboard means when the engine oil reaches a certain level of usage:

your mechanic .com

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 09-08-19, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator
here is something new I read. At 5k miles the monitors jump right to 20%.. I would need to see proof of this. Ill never see it becuase I have an 2006.

https://www.markquartmotors.com/blog...-newer-models/

edit:

and to note I use wally world super tech full syn oil for high mileage vehicles.. 15 bucks for 5 qt. plus 1 qt. I take 6 qts

Old 09-08-19, 09:11 AM
I think I fall into the Moderate conditions!

Thanks Mike.

Old 09-08-19, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 30 Posts
Not sure if the question is about how long you can wait for an oil change after getting the notification or the fact that the dealer is making you wait for 4 weeks to get an appointment with them. I've never had to wait that long for a dealer appointment, altho I don't go to the largest in town with a variety of makes. I guess that's the closest dealer to you? I don't have a lot of dealers (for any makes) near me, so it's a good half hour drive at least, no matter who I go to. Maybe find another dealer if possible.?

Old 09-08-19, 07:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 29 Votes on 23 Posts
Clearly too big to care about the customer! In the future I'll go back to my trusted shop.
Yeah, pretty much MY line of thinking.

Old 09-10-19, 12:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
From what I understand he needs to wait for 4 weeks to get his service and seems like the company is just avoiding for you to avail the warranty. Kinds curious though what company is this

Old 09-10-19, 05:50 AM
Kinds curious though what company is this
I don't believe the rules would allow me to reveal the dealer name in this case. But I.m sure it has nothing to do with avoiding warranty issues. It's just that they are so big and so busy that they can't and are unable to give individual attention to the customer. They do heavy advertising and have about 2 to 3 miles of prime footage on route US 20 with a show room for almost every car known. And that's on both sides of the road.

Every show room has an office with 20 to 30 cubicles with sales people and each cubicle is shared by two sales people. What bothered me was that we were handled by two sales people during our negotiations and thrown from one person to another during the whole purchase process. I think I saw no less than 10 people prior to taking possession of the car. And not one person would return phone calls when I had questions. I started out with one young male sales person (who seemed knowledgeable) and then handed off to a young female (whom I believe was a relative of the president of that group). Although they were very courteous, they just didn't get the personnel service idea. Then asking for an option of heated seats turned into a fiasco, that I ended up complaining to the general manger and getting a half rebate for third party equipment being installed against my wishes. The whole experience with this dealership just turned me sour on them. And others I've talked to have had similar experiences.

So this may beg the question, why did I buy the car from them? Well you have to understand that these problems did not happen all of a sudden buy slowly manifested themselves and by the time my frustration level hit the high point we were already into the contract. Sure I could've pulled out, but looking for a car is not my favorite pass time (rather be at the dentists, at least I get relief after all the pain). And I thought this was the car for me. I was wrong. Would've rather had a Ford. But that's another story.

So the lesson learned is I'll will buy all my future cars from the smaller local Ford dealer who has treated me the way I like, strictly one on one. In fact I plan on trading in this car in next spring on the Ford I want. Even though the Chevy dealer has been hounding me via mail brochures offering guaranteed high trade-in value.

So the long and short is that the car itself is good, but not to my liking, I've become a fan of Ford products, and dealer experience means everything, even if the cost might be slightly higher.

Old 09-10-19, 05:58 AM
Group Moderator
so big and so busy that they can't and are unable to give individual attention to the customer
Why I routinely recommend the small independent shops over dealers and franchises except for warranty work, recalls, and certain proprietary items.

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 09-10-19, 06:27 PM
It is your money. If your dealer is giving you problems or not listening, take your money elsewhere. There are other dealers. Regarding synthetic, my understanding is a spring pops in most oil filters after about 10,000 and no filtering is taking place. What I observe is that is where I see the weak link with oil changes. Sure, keep oil is as long as you want. Oil gets dirty but still lubricates. What dirty oil does is cause problems. If you want to be safe using synthetic, go about 8k miles then do a change. Or at least change the filter if you are going >10K. I do my own work and oil changes; all of my cars hit 300,000 or more and the engines are perfect-sound good, good power, etc. The rest of the vehicle is using starting to rust out. I attribute my vehicle's longevity, each one, to be the result of 8k oil changes. Any longer and Mr. Dirty starts doing his evil work inside the engine.

Old 09-11-19, 04:33 AM
my understanding is a spring pops in most oil filters after about 10,000 and no filtering is taking place.
Never heard of this. Do you have any kind of proof? It's my understanding that a filter will stop working when the filter materiel gets clogged and then the oil just kind of by-passes the filter. Maybe it's the same thing. Just never heard of a spring mechanism.

Old 09-11-19, 04:58 AM
Group Moderator
Haven't thought about that in a long time, but yes, there is likely a bypass valve. Probably in the filter mount on the block although it could also be in the filter. It'll be a simple spring-loaded plug that unseats when pressure reaches a certain level. Would have to be REALLY dirty to reach that point. Theory being that DIRTY oil is better than NO oil.

Old 09-11-19, 05:51 AM
Yes, it must be in the engine block section, not the filter. I have cut open filters on several occasions and found nothing but filter material. Never any type of mechanical device. But now days that may have changed.

Old 09-12-19, 11:15 AM
This afternoon I get a call from the Chevy dealer asking me to confirm my oil change date for tomorrow! I told the girl that I cancelled the date and was told at that time that it was never reserved for me in the first place. But that I had an e-mail confirming it.

I then went on to tell her that because it takes 3-to 4 weeks to get an oil change appointment, that I took the car someplace else and was done in 20 minutes. I then told her that I was not trying to give her a hard time, but every time I have tried to work with xxxx dealership, there always seems to be a issue. I told her I will not be returning as a customer and to please relay this info to the management.

She was very polite and said she would. Who knows?

Old 09-12-19, 12:02 PM
Well, Sometimes it pays to complain and be polite about. Just got a call from the Chevy service department apologizing for the screw up. We had about a 7 to 10 minute talk, where I told him about this and past experiences, explaining that I was not just complaining but hopefully providing constructive criticism. I also told him that I have had good experience from his service department also. So it's not all bad. But I explained that the initial purchase of the car and interaction with the sales people left me with sour taste. I admitted that I was very bias in my views and criticisms. But I did appreciate his follow up and concern. I also bluntly told him the whole dealership is too big to accommodate customers.

He asked my keep his name on hand and if next time I need an oil change he will make sure I get in and out quickly and it will be on the house.

Old 09-12-19, 12:33 PM
Group Moderator
I think 7 days would be about my limit on waiting for a routine oil change.

Old 09-12-19, 02:19 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Your oil filter has a by-pass and anti-drainback valve
EXTRA GUARD Spin-on Oil Filter PH10575 | FRAM
No spring "pops" at 10k miles but the filter will begin to by-pass if it becomes clogged and creates back pressure (16-28psi)

Some folks running the long-life syn oils will replace the filter half way through and just top off the level with fresh oil

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 10-04-19, 08:08 AM
They make no appointments. WMart full synthetic (5 quarts Pennzoil) oil change now down to $45. I'm usually in and out in 1-1.5 hours. Beats 4 weeks, and, might be cheaper.

Old 10-04-19, 06:13 PM
On a new car with warranty, I'd be a bit scared to use Walmart. I use a certified GMC shop. Price about the same and I'm guaranteed the oil and workmanship is GMC certified and they register the oil change with GMC. In a few days the oil change shows up on my app as 100%.

If it was an older car out of warranty then the price of Walmart seems attractive.