Tie rod change and steering wheel issue

Old 10-21-19, 07:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tie rod change and steering wheel issue

Hi all,
I have a 2002 PT cruiser. I had to change the outer tie rod tonight on passenger side. It was pretty loose and actually broke apart as I was trying to bang it out. Anyways, I locked the nut in place on the stud and unscrewed the tie rod. I spun the new tie rod on so it is in the same exact position as old. Put everything back together and took it for a drive. All appeared good and the car tracks straight and doesn't pull. Only thing I noticed now is the steering wheel is cocked left to about 10 or 11pm position. If I leave there I can let go and car will track straight. If I straighten completely it will go right quite a bit. Only issue I have is that I am not a 100% sure it wasnt like this prior to the new rod as I never really paid attention. So question is could it be thrown off like this changing one rod. If so will an alignment bring it back. I haven't changed many tie rods to know if position was off a 1/16" or so would it cause this. When the car is parked and steering wheel is turned completely straight, both tires look straight. Thx a bunch

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-19, 08:41 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
yes get it aligned. not all parts are equal. it will wear the tires if you don't.