Plastic headlight covers??

Old 11-08-19, 07:01 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Plastic headlight covers??

I bought 2019 Toyota RAV4. Would like to prevent plastic headlight covers from turning cloudy. Does anyone know if I can purchase some type of clip-on headlight cover?

If this type of product is not available, can you advise what I can do to prevent plastic headlight covers from turning cloudy?

I wish auto companies would go back to using glass for headlights.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-19, 08:38 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Really nothing you can do except treat them when they do yellow or haze.

Old 11-09-19, 01:11 AM
T
Received 25 Votes on 23 Posts
All of my cars have the clear vinyl installed over them (comes w/UV inhibitor). Same stuff that they use on hoods, doors, etc to prevent rock chips. They never yellow and pretty much eliminate the pitting. Been on since 2002 on one of my cars. Local shop charges $50 for both headlights.

Old 11-09-19, 04:19 AM
Received 397 Votes on 371 Posts
The cloudy headlamps you see on cars is due to sunlight, UV degrading the plastic. Some of the plastics used in the past didn't hold up well.

Newer cars are greatly improved and anything you see out there claiming to prevent that from happening is only going to drain your wallet.

Old 11-09-19, 07:14 AM
Received 12 Votes on 9 Posts
3M makes good quality protective film.
As MArq said, it will take years to start showing any signs of damage, unless you drive in sand storms days long.
Will you keep that vehicle for all those years? Besides, fixing pitting is about 15 min job anyway...

Old 11-16-19, 04:24 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There are protective films that are custom cut for each car.

https://www.weathertech.com/toyota/2019/rav4/lampgard/

There are cheaper kits on ebay, as long as they use the 3M film they would probably last fine. Weathertech more generally makes very good quality items.

They will prevent chips and cracks, so if you off road or drive gravel roads they make sense. Otherwise, the Lexan typically used is very durable. It will yellow and haze over time (from ozone and UV exposure that will kill all plastics eventually), and the films might be a sacrificial layer of plastic that takes the environmental degradation. You can alternatively coat with Aerospace 303 Protectant a couple of times a year, and that will probably help the lens withstand the environment, the boat and aerospace people use this product for their plastic surfaces.

https://www.amazon.com/30340CSR-Prot...s%2C159&sr=8-5

Replacement lamps lens are usually now integral with a whole headlamp unit and can be really expensive to replace, and years from now hard to find replacements. So a film looks like good insurance for those who are meticulous about their car care.