Steering issue after tie rod change

Old 11-12-19, 04:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Steering issue after tie rod change

Hi all,
2002 pt cruiser that just changed outer tie rod a couple weeks ago. There was some clunking going on and when I wiggled the passenger tire it moved a bit. As I was beating it off it actually fell apart. Anyways, put the new one on making sure the locking nut didnt move so I could screw it on same amount. Will be getting an alignment soon. Clunking seems to have gone away but now a weird issue occurs. When I hit a small bump or today a patch of snow it seems like the wheel is jerky a bit. It actually nudges the stirring wheel to the right if you have a loose grip on it. I tightened tie rod up good and put the cutter pin in the stud but wondering if I didnt tighten it enough. I had a breaker bar on it for tightening and went pretty tight. Any thoughts unless something else is going on. Drivers side seemed tight. Thx

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-19, 04:33 PM
Received 62 Votes on 57 Posts
Had you said it was a 60's or 70's Power Wagon, or something along that line, you might get by with it, but you're not going to get satisfactory results by just eyeballing the length, so yes, move the alignment up the list and you're probably good to go. Costs money, no doubt, but cheaper than a new set of tires.

Old 11-12-19, 05:51 PM
Received 119 Votes on 110 Posts
I wiggled the passenger tire it moved a bit.
Chances are your prior condition was so loose/sloppy that any movement was lost back to the steering wheel. Now that it's fixed it's tight like it should be but now feels different!

Old 11-13-19, 05:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 124 Posts
You can check/adjust the toe in yourself using a tape measure. I normally set a straightedge on a block on the side of each front tire and then measure. You want the front measurement to be about 1/8" less than the rear. While this isn't as good as a pro alignment it will get you in the neighborhood.