Leaking oil after visit to repair facility

Old 11-15-19, 09:26 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leaking oil after visit to repair facility

Brought my 2015 Buick Enclave 103k mikes, to a AAA facility for an oil change. This was an actual AAA store, not just a AAA approved facility. After 1.5 hours they tell me my timing chain cover is leaking oil, front strut leaking, front tire has nail and leaking and needs to be replaced, air and cabin filters need replacing and brakes need to be done.

i declined all service. Took car to dealer where I have tire/wheel protection, they said didnít think tire was leaking from nail, but ended up replacing tire. Easy money for them when itís a warranty claim I guess.

very next day I notice oil drips on driveway underneath truck. Is that a coincidence that never leaked before, until facility tells me thereís a leak?? Find that hard to believe. Not gong back there again

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-19, 10:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 315 Votes on 289 Posts
Have you looked to see where your leaking oil?

Old 11-15-19, 10:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 167 Votes on 148 Posts
If it's too hard to spot exactly where the leak is, it's often beneficial to clean the engine [or that section] and then keep an eye on it to see just where the leak is.

Old 11-16-19, 02:53 PM
Items

All of the items noted are plausible issues on a car with the mileage noted. When a mechanic does an inspection, you want them to tell you all these things that they find. They should of course offer some practical advice on which things are must do items. I would be glad they are pointing out the things they did. Sure they might be erring on the side of caution and creating some work for themselves that could be deferred a bit longer. But that is something you would simply need to discuss further with them.

The nail in tire would be factual, not an opinion, either there is or is not a nail. If there is the tire would be patched if its not too close to a sidewall, or replaced if it is. Since you had this dealt with I will not comment further but usually you replace the two tires on the same axle, you can get odd handling with one tire being a lot newer (i.e. grippier) than the others.

Timing chain covers do leak. If the leak is minor it is best to leave it. If more substantial, simply tightening up the cover bolts might help.

A front strut leaking means the strut is failing, and you should replace. You might not notice a worn strut, but the rest of your suspension eg. ball joints and bushings will. You will end up with other suspension items wearing before their time. I would replace the strut. They would be typically worn out at this mileage, so I would do both the front ones.

The brakes are a safety item. If they need doing, well, they need doing. They should explain what is worn and what needs doing, it could be just new pads required. If there is corrosion or signs of deep wear on the discs, then they need replacing too. You just can't cheap out on brakes, but you can find places that charge less than others, use cheaper aftermarkets parts and such. So shop around, but do get the brakes done.

The Enclave is a very nice car, yours is not too old so the body would be in good shape, but once you are 100K+ miles, you should expect some maintenance items to start popping up, eg. water pumps, alternators, starters, wheel bearings and such. If the car is a long term keeper you should find a garage you will trust, as you want to stay safe, and not get stranded by leaving things that are presenting signs of wear or imminent failure til they actually break.

Of course, some people drive a car til something breaks, and then, well, you know its broken. I am ok with that as long as you can handle some reliability surprises, and as long as we exclude brakes from this philosophy!

The oil leaking is probably a coincidence, or a drip left over from the oil change itself, some oil can leak onto the under panels of the car while doing an oil change and drip out after the fact. So just monitor if the drips subside, or keep coming. Of course it could also be the timing chain cover leaking so it would be useful to take a look with a bright flashlight and see where the oil is coming from.

Old 11-17-19, 05:51 PM
Well it's the old story. Which came first? The chicken or the egg.? I just say, you are driving a wreck.

Old 12-12-19, 11:01 AM
My 99 camry started leaking oil about 6 months after I had timing belt changed, just when the warranty expired. Thats why I hate bringing my car in to a mechanic.

Old 12-12-19, 11:29 AM
Group Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 274 Posts
My truck has this stupid oil catch pan to catch oil when the oil filter is removed. It is the worst design ever since its usually full of mud and gravel. And it's almost impossible to get to. I change my own oil and I know now that this pan drips oil for a few days after the oil is changed... *Unless* you actually wipe it out afterward to keep it clean.

If you see oil leaking (a spot on the ground where you park) it could be something similar. Maybe they didn't wipe the catch pan out.

Or maybe everything they said was true.

Old 12-12-19, 03:11 PM
Received 10 Votes on 9 Posts
My truck has this stupid oil catch pan to catch oil when the oil filter is removed.
Would I be close to guess a Ford?

My F150 has one of these also.

XSleeper voted this post useful.
Old 12-12-19, 03:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 167 Votes on 148 Posts
Years ago my wife had a car that when you removed the drain plug the oil would then drown the exhaust. I talked to a guy that worked at an oil change place thinking he might know a trick to keep the oil off the exhaust and he just named off a couple of cleaners to clean the exhaust pipe. The Maxima my wife just got rid of had a splash pan that had to be removed to access the drain plug and the inner fender had to be removed [almost] to get to the oil filter.

Old 12-12-19, 05:56 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Fortunately for me (or unfortunate depending on how you look at it) I am enough of gear head to know when a service facility is blowing smoke uma or telling the truth, and also, fortunately, If I ask them to show me what they are pointing out, I can see whether it is what they say it is. I have gone into service shops with my family members, and close friends for support many times to verify the diagnosis. Even the best intended service facilities have problems keeping good help on the payroll, and I get it about putting incentives out there to grab that extra service opportunity, but it better be valid when it comes to my family and friends. I would encourage the original poster to get or make a friend who is also a gear head to lean on when faced with an unknown diagnosis. The lord knows I put out a LOT of requests on this forum for things I can't get MY head wrapped around. Nothing to be ashamed of!

Old 12-13-19, 08:55 AM
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
"Brought my 2015 Buick Enclave 103k mikes, to a AAA facility for an oil change. This was an actual AAA store, not just a AAA approved facility. After 1.5 hours they tell me my timing chain cover is leaking oil, front strut leaking, front tire has nail and leaking and needs to be replaced, air and cabin filters need replacing and brakes need to be done.

i declined all service. Took car to dealer where I have tire/wheel protection, they said didnít think tire was leaking from nail, but ended up replacing tire. Easy money for them when itís a warranty claim I guess.

very next day I notice oil drips on driveway underneath truck. Is that a coincidence that never leaked before, until facility tells me thereís a leak?? Find that hard to believe. Not gong back there again"

Why would it take 1 1/2 hrs to change the oil?
Did you ask for an inspection? Why would they do an inspection?
Is the strut and timing chain cover leaking?
When was the last time you checked/changed the air & cabin filters?
How many miles on your brakes? When were they last serviced/inspected?
Where are the oil drips on the driveway coming from? ......