2002 caravan q

Old 12-15-19, 04:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2002 caravan q

My caravan overheats and when it does it won't produce heat.

In the last 10,000 miles I had to replace the water pump and I replaced the radiator as it had a leak. I have replaced the thermostat and radiator cap. When it achieves proper operating temperature and then starts to get hotter the 2 fans kick in properly. When the engine was cool I had the radiator cap off and had coolant in it and the coolant was circulating. When the engine is hot the upper radiator hose is hot and when I squeeze it the hose has pressure. When the engine begins to overheat the temp gauge goes from half way between cold and hot to super hot in 5 seconds and that makes no sense as the motor can't over heat that quickly and the needle will also go back to the middle quickly. It has plenty of coolant.

What else could there be to replace?

his is driving me nuts!

Thank you.

Chuck

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-19, 04:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 14 Votes on 10 Posts
Bad temperature sensor or a bad gauge. The sensor normally isn't that much trouble to replace & shouldn't be too expensive. But, I don't know about your specific car.

Old 12-15-19, 05:24 PM
Thank you for your reply.

But why no heat or at best it's intermittent?

Old 12-15-19, 06:22 PM
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
most vehicles will lose heat as the coolant level drops in the engine just no longer enough coolant to circulate through the heater core it can also cause erratic temp readings as the sender may not be submerged in coolant.
so the question is where is the coolant going is there another leak or is it just being pushed out into the overflow tank.
might suggest a cheap scan tool to read the coolant temp and get a more accurate reading at engine temp may help in diagnosis you have replaced some parts and a thermostat is one part that even though its new may be defective other issues could be more severe like a head gasket or cracked head it may not leak much coolant into cylinder but it can put a lot more pressure into the cooling system.

Old 12-15-19, 06:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 14 Votes on 10 Posts
Do you have heat when the temp gauge is showing normal? But not when its showing over normal?
Do you not have heat at anytime?

Old 12-15-19, 06:30 PM
Thank you.

I will get a sensor and put it in Tuesday and see where we go from there.

Old 12-15-19, 06:33 PM
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
if the engine runs rough at start up for a few seconds after setting overnight or several hours there is a very good chance that it is leaking coolant into a cylinder.

Old 12-15-19, 06:45 PM
it's intermittent but not much at all..sometimes when I give it gas there's some heat but rarely... radiator is full of coolant..the engine runs great!!!

Old 12-18-19, 08:26 PM
Thanks for all of the advice...I replaced the thermostat again and the problem is gone....345k miles and it still runs great!!

Thanks again!!