Change trasmission fluid in '99 Camry??

Old 12-28-19, 07:25 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Change trasmission fluid in '99 Camry??

My Camry has 145,000 miles. I don't know if the transmission fluid has ever been changed or not. I am getting ready to drive to Phoenix. I am not currently having any problem with it but am thinking of having it drained and refilled before I go.

What do you guys think?

I am thinking of just having it drained and refilled not flushed and filter kit replaced. That is just more than I want to spend to have it done. That is over $220, just having drained and refilled about $75

Thanks for your opinions.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-19, 08:42 AM
Received 394 Votes on 368 Posts
First thing to check is what does the OEM state for change interval?

Second, need to check the fluid, is it black/brown, have a burnt smell?

If above is good, your good to go!

If you do change the fluid you should change the filter, have you ever done an oil change and not changed the filter?

Old 12-28-19, 08:56 AM
Received 12 Votes on 9 Posts
Change ATF and filter. If in doubt, always change.

Old 12-28-19, 09:07 AM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 48 Votes on 41 Posts
I dont know when car manufacturers started this but now, the idea is, you're not supposed to change the filter. Its designed to be "flushed". But I dont know about your car. Honestly, I like to have it changed but I know a couple of the shops I talked to, encouraged me NOT to change the one in my '07 Ram 1500 4X4 off road w/tow package. I wanted it changed but they pretty much told me if I wanted it changed to take it somewhere else.

For me, I like to have the fluid & filter changed at every 50,000 miles, but in the end, my advice is in line with Marq1......... what does your manufacturer say do for your car? That's what you need to do.

I also agree with Marq1 that the smell & color of the oil is an indicator of the quality of the oil. It will tell you if its burned &/or dirty. I agree with that, but, personally, I dont necessarily wait for discoloration (burnt or dirty) or a burnt smell before changing it. Personally, just because the oil is fine, doesn't mean the filter isn't beginning... or is partially... clogged up. They say that "flushing" the system will clean the filter. Call me old school & I understand their degree is bigger than mine in automotive technology, but I call.... hog wash. I like to have my oil AND filter changed about 50,000 miles. Its just me though.

Old 01-23-20, 07:59 AM
F
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I've always just drain and filled mine about every 30k. Hex plug on the drain pain with an aluminum crush washer. I think it's about 3 quarts Dexron III.