Bad engine knocking / ticking after coil, spark change

Old 01-03-20, 07:35 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bad engine knocking / ticking after coil, spark change

Hi - 06 Nissan Murano with 115k.

I had an engine light with misfire on 5th cylinder with engine knocking. Since getting to that cylinder was a headache and required taking out the intake, I replaced all 6 spark plugs and ignition coils.

Started up the car and sounds even worse. Knocking, ticking in idle, sputtering.

Car wasnít driven for about 6 months. Oil should still be okay, but Iím going to change it out tomorrow anyway. I canít imagine thatís it though.

Note I didnít have an engine light anymore while it was running in idle in the driveway, but not real confident in that.

Any suggestions where to troubleshoot? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-20, 03:40 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Does it have coil overs or a coil pack? if the latter, are you sure you got the plugs wired in the correct order?

Old 01-04-20, 05:27 AM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 48 Votes on 41 Posts
I agree Mark is on the right track. I was going to say that you didn't get one or more of the coil packs connected good... its loose & not firing. Only reason I doubt my theory is that there is now, no CEL.

Old 01-04-20, 05:35 AM
B
Received 93 Votes on 81 Posts
Certainly changing one spark plug is easier than changing six so I am not following your troubleshooting approach. Was there a OBD trouble code associated with the check engine light?

Old 01-07-20, 01:59 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I will be looking at the truck again this week (I don't have a garage and it's friggin cold here right now).

You'd think changing one spark plug/coil would be easy. Three of the coils you can access by just popping up the hood, but the other three require taking out the wipers, cowl, intake and manifold (where my misfire was). Figured since all that was out I might as well spend the $150.00 and replace all coils and plugs.

This is the video I followed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b53TT0c5aSs

They definitely SHOULD be wired in the correct order since the wiring and lengths pretty much made it impossible to reconnect in the wrong order.

I believe I can test the connections with a ohm reading from what I see on another site so I'm going to try that. It's possible I have a bad connection. They were not connecting to the replacement coils easily.

I can't remember the exact code when the engine light was on before, but it was a misfire on the 5th cylinder. P305 maybe from what I see online right now?

Old 01-07-20, 02:54 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
I assume you have the coil over the spark plug type. Besides bad connections make sure none of the wires got broke.