2016 Ford Focus traditional clutch problem @ 35k?

Old 01-06-20, 11:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2016 Ford Focus traditional clutch problem @ 35k?

2016 Ford Focus, 2.0, traditional 5 sd manual (not the newfangled power shift semi-auto that is causing people problems), 35k. I have been driving a clutch for 40 years and never had a problem with them going out early except for this one. At 35k you could smell burning clutch from five feet away although it still drove fine a few times I could feel it slipping. The Ford dealer said I burned out the clutch and replaced it for more than I am worth (no warranties on clutches). They also said that there was nothing else wrong - like the clutch master cylinder that could have caused it. Has anyone heard of traditional Ford manual clutches buring out early? I know this car has a hill holder system that will keep the breaks engaged for a second once the clutch is released, could that be the problem? Or is it me?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-20, 12:51 PM
Received 45 Votes on 39 Posts
It depends on many things like do you do a lot of starts/stops, spin the driven tires, pull a trailer, maintain the clutch engagement position and so forth. Could you further describe what the car was doing when you were able to smell the clutch burning from 5 feet away?

Old 01-06-20, 01:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 31 Posts
FWIW, I would not have paid Ford to do it non-warranty.

Old 01-06-20, 01:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The car was mostly highway driven. Right before this happened it had just been driven back 500 miles on the highway but the smell didn't get noticed until the next day driving around the neighborhood. Even driving to the dealer the car drove fine but you could smell the clutch - very, very strong. I had noticed once or twice I thought I felt it slip but when I tried to duplicate it while watching the tach it did not do it. I did think that the engagement spot on the clutch pedal was higher than it should have been but it is still in the same spot now even after the fix. On an old 69 Chevy truck I had to push the pedal down a good 8 inches before any noticeable change in the clutch engagement happened, in this car it happens very quickly (but again, the pedal travel distance is a lot shorter to begin with). I just don't know.

Old 01-06-20, 02:28 PM
Received 45 Votes on 39 Posts
Could be the pressure plate was not 100% released during the 500 mile drive causing the clutch disc to wear. to the point of slipping. Ford must publish where the clutch release point is because it is a maintenance item. The dealer should be able to provide this. "Still in the same spot" is too subjective.