Gear shift issue

Old 01-27-20, 08:46 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gear shift issue

Hi All,

I have a 2002 PT cruiser ( 70,000 miles) that I had to have towed to the garage this morning and not sure when they will look at but wanted to get some insight on what it could be from you guys. So backed into the driveway last night, no issues. Started it up this morning and put it in drive and nothing, no movement in any gear. When you pull the gear lever from park to all positions it feels very easy to move which isn't normal and assuming there is some sort of cable/linkage that goes from the lever on console to the tranny to shift it. Possibly broken or something. Can anyone advise if this is the case and if it could be a broken cable what do they usually charge to change it. Thx

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-20, 09:42 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Assuming your tranny didn't suddenly bite the dust it does sound like a linkage or cable issue. I don't know how yours is put together but my 2010 jeep has plastic bushings at each end of the cable and when those bushings break the cable won't move the lever it hooks up to. The bushings are cheap $3 or so each. I have no idea about how much the labor would be [if that is the issue]

Old 01-27-20, 09:45 AM
Received 10 Votes on 7 Posts
Let me Google that for you ......
https://lmgtfy.com/?q=2002+pt+cruise...le+replacement

Old 01-28-20, 08:28 AM
Group Moderator
Received 57 Votes on 47 Posts
As stated. Shift cable at one end or another. I get these calls about once a month. Think I even did a PT not too long ago. Unfortunately the design of many of them - the plastic ones - pretty much means eventually the plastic will get brittle and break.

Old 01-28-20, 02:42 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Unfortunately the design of many of them - the plastic ones - pretty much means eventually the plastic will get brittle and break.
Ya, that's a beef I have with that design. I've had to replace them on my 2010 jeep, one side twice. A brass bushing would last a lot longer!