Burning Belt? Which one?

Old 01-27-20, 09:27 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Burning Belt? Which one?

Iíve got a Ď14 Sonata. Noticed a burning smell yesterday while parked after driving a short distance. Maybe a rubber smell, but not sure about that. Opened the hood and saw a small amount of smoke coming from behind (under?) the engine. Itís running fine, and the engine gage is not showing an over heat. I am over due for an oil change, but not by more than a few months. I had the the idler pulley tensioner replaced a few months ago. Didnít hear an obvious belt squealing sound.
How do I tell if itís a belt, which one, or something else? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-20, 09:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 168 Votes on 149 Posts
You should be able to tell if the fan belt is bad. Since it's under the engine I'd suspect rubber or something on your exhaust. Hopefully it would be something you picked up going down the road and not a wire that has drooped down.

Old 01-27-20, 10:34 AM
Thanks Mark. Iíll slide under the car later today and see if thereís anything obvious that could be burning.

Old 01-28-20, 07:06 AM
Thereís nothing I can see that would be burning under the car. The serpentine belt appears to be turning freely, and thereís no squealing sound.
The burning smell starts pretty quickly after the car is running, and seems to be stronger inside the cab than under the hood.
Any thoughts?

Old 01-28-20, 08:17 AM
Group Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 31 Posts
As Mark suggested I would guess something on the exhaust. Possibly you have a valve cover (or other oil source) that is leaking a small amount onto the exhaust. When you start up, a few minutes later the exhaust would be hot enough to cook it off. The fumes might be being drawn into the cabin via your HVAC fresh air intake if it's on the fresh setting vice "Recirculate". If you can eyeball the area with a good light you might find a dark area where cooked off oil has left a residue.

Burning rubber and burning oil each have somewhat distinctive smells.

Old 01-28-20, 07:11 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
As Mark suggested I would guess something on the exhaust. Possibly you have a valve cover (or other oil source) that is leaking a small amount onto the exhaust.

Old 01-28-20, 08:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 12 Posts
Since its stronger in the cab than under the hood you may have a wiring harness shorting out & the rubber insulation is getting hot or burning. I say harness because if your having that much smoke, its got to be more than one little wire.
My wife had a Tail Blazer a few years back & the fuse box shorted out & a bunch of wires shorted, caught on fire & totaled the car. The fuse box & a bunch of wiring harness's. The cost to rewire it & put in a new fuse panel etc is what totaled it.