In ProcessAdSlots.php line 39: Trying to access array offset on value of type null

95 Astro Van sometimes wonít start when warm, always starts cold

Old 02-06-20, 10:18 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
95 Astro Van sometimes wonít start when warm, always starts cold

My 95 Astro van always starts when cold, but sometimes wonít when warm, after a short drive. It cranks, but wonít startup. If I use starting fluid, it will start, then stall. After the van sits an hour or so, it will start.
It happens once every 5 to 10 trips. Fuel pump and relay was replaced, but didnít solve the problem. Any ideas? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-20, 12:23 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I would start by checking the computer for codes. I had similar symptoms in a 92 Olds and it turned out to be the crankshaft position sensor - would get hot and shut down. That does not mean it's the same problem for you but certainly could be something similar.

Old 02-07-20, 06:02 AM
Group Moderator
Received 57 Votes on 47 Posts
That should have a distributor with an ignition module, they're been known to get quirky like that, too. I've had a coil go belly up like that also. Unfortunately those (at least on my '94 5.L) don't give me a code and often have to be troubleshot by replacement.

Old 02-07-20, 11:55 AM
Received 10 Votes on 7 Posts
If it starts with starting fluid then it has spark and correct timing - sounds like a fuel fault.

How long have you owned the truck? How long have you had this fault?

Old 02-07-20, 12:27 PM
A
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
would probably do some testing like fuel pressure also injector pulse may not have enough fuel pressure.

Old 02-10-20, 05:32 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I agree it is a fuel problem of some sort. Had this problem for 2 years. Had fuel pump replaced, and pump relay. If it sits long enough, it will start. Always starts when cold. Only a problem after short drive. Sometimes won’t startup after turning off.

Old 02-10-20, 05:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,177 Votes on 1,091 Posts
If that is a fuel injected vehicle..... there will be a fitting on the fuel line where you can check for fuel pressure. That would be my next diagnostic step.