Where do you dump your old coolant?

Old 03-26-20, 07:14 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Where do you dump your old coolant?

Going to run the garden hose and flush the cooling system. Going to use a catch pan/disposal just to store the old coolant. Do you just open the sewage relief drain and dump it down the sewage line? What are the options? Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-20, 07:36 AM
J
Received 48 Votes on 43 Posts
My local transfer station has a tank for that next to the one for waste oil.

Old 03-26-20, 09:10 AM
Received 192 Votes on 179 Posts
I think some auto parts stores will recycle but what I do is throw a small quantity on the road and just let it evaporate!

Old 03-26-20, 09:44 AM
Received 141 Votes on 128 Posts
small quantity on the road and just let it evaporate!
Although many may find this to be wrong, if no other alternative is viable then is the least harmful.

Old 03-26-20, 11:49 AM
H
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
Automotive antifreeze is glycol based - basically rat poison.
It doesn't "go away" it just dries out, but will still work on mice, rats squirrels, rabbits, cats, dogs and people.

Almost every local automotive garage will have a tank so that the glycol can be recycled to use in new antifreeze.

Old 03-26-20, 04:09 PM
Received 192 Votes on 179 Posts
ethylene glycol, nor unused antifreeze containing ethylene glycol, would be considered a hazardous waste
Ethylene glycol in water and in soil will breakdown within several days to a few weeks.
Its not rat poison but it's not totally inert.

Best option is to dispose at local recycler, others say to dilute and flush, allowing to evaporate may not be best option but I have called every local auto part store and nobody accepts!

Old 03-26-20, 04:37 PM
I have called every local auto part store and nobody accepts!
I also have this to be true.

MichaelChang voted this post useful.
Old 03-26-20, 04:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 599 Votes on 564 Posts
I can remember when the DEP..... at least in NJ..... made a statement that if a store sold a reclaimable item they had to take it. I specifically remember this applying to motor oil. Now..... most stores selling motor oil don't take it back. There is no one anywhere near me that will take coolant either.

Old 03-26-20, 05:34 PM
H
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
Wow, I'm surprised - NJ has plenty for oil, none for antifreeze.

Automobile Parts Stores or Service Station CollectionsAll year round, you can take hazardous automobile fluids to local service stations and autoparts stores. Ask in your nearest independent service station or transmission shop to find out which hazardous automobile chemicals they will accept.

Additionally, the following state wide retailers run their own hazardous automobile waste collections. You do not need to purchase anything in their stores to use their recycling collections.
  • Advance Auto Parts
    • Accept used motor oil, transmission fluid, hydraulic oil, gear oil, power steering fluid and old car batteries.
  • Autozone
    • Accept used motor oil, transmission fluid, hydraulic oil, gear oil, power steering fluid and old car batteries.
  • Pepboys
    • Accept used motor oil and car batteries for recycling
Automobile fluids recycling in New Jersey
Might be worth it to check with new car dealerships

Old 03-26-20, 05:50 PM
M
None of the stores in my area accept antifreeze, any harm in diluting and pouring down the toilet?

Old 03-26-20, 07:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 338 Votes on 310 Posts
In our town it goes down the toilet.

Old 03-27-20, 08:17 AM
M
That's all I need to hear.
I'm opening the drain and dumping it in

Old 03-27-20, 08:19 AM
Call your town or municipality and ask them what they do with there trucks and cars.

Old 03-27-20, 08:36 AM
C
Received 36 Votes on 31 Posts
That is a terrible idea. My neighbor had a cat that had to have part of it's tongue amputated after licking antifreeze on the street in front of their house. While propylene glycol based antifreeze is less toxic, the more common ethylene glycol based antifreeze is dangerous, partly because of the sweet taste that attracts animals and children. Also, ethylene glycol doesn't just evaporate immediately, it can linger for days.

The right answer is to check with your local town/county authorities for information regarding disposal of hazardous waste.

Old 03-27-20, 09:40 AM
S
Received 20 Votes on 12 Posts
Your profile says you're in Arlington, so contact these people: https://recycling.arlingtonva.us/household-hazmat/

They have a household hazardous materials drop-off facility.

Old 03-27-20, 10:03 AM
Group Moderator
Received 599 Votes on 564 Posts
Municipal and county garages have their coolant taken away by a recycling company. Same with car dealerships. It's not a free service. Many counties..... like in the previous post.... will take coolant but they're only open one or two days a year for public reclamation. Not a problem if you can store it for several months.

Old 03-27-20, 10:32 AM
will take coolant but they're only open one or two days a year for public reclamation. Not a problem if you can store it for several months.
This is one of the stupid things about municipalities. One or two days out of the year and one single drop off point for chemicals and or electronics. The tree huggers and the politicians all talk a good talk about environment but in actuality do very little.

So a person has a bottle of old oil or chemical, or maybe just a small piece of electronic equipment, or tire. I'm spring cleaning or straightening things up or maybe even moving, and I must hold this piece of crap for several months and then if I remember travel 10, 20, 30 miles or more to dump it during public reclamation! You really think that's what our citizen will do?

What needs to be done is a monthly hazard waste pick-up by the municipality. Or at least a once every 3 months. Of course it will cost. But what is the point of a municipal government? This is the kind of mandate that they should be doing. There are plenty of other areas where cuts can be made, starting with pay raises that surpass the $70,000/yr range. Or as in my county a multi million dollar face lift for a library that did not need a new building with a Spot Coffee bar, a gym, and a new senior citizen complex, that was never approved by the residents. And this is just typical of any town or city.

Besides a flame about this high, this is the kind of thing that burns my rear end!

I hate to say things like this but, funny how when the power that be are hit with the same ailments and risks (Cornova and several politicians) that the rest of are faced with, it kind of levels the playing field.

Old 03-27-20, 11:25 AM
C
Received 36 Votes on 31 Posts
Locally about 15-20 small towns and cities participate in a monthly hazardous waste collection program. They accept just about anything except ammo and explosives as long as it is identified.

"SCRRRA funds and administers a regional, multi-town collection program for hazardous wastes from residents. Held April through November, these 9 annual collections change location each month, providing free, convenient hazardous waste disposal for home owners. Participating community residents can go to any or all of the 9 collections."

Old 03-27-20, 12:05 PM
You're lucky CW. We have only a county drop-off held once a year. Our county spans 1044 square miles and those in the north are not going to drive 50 mile to drop off waste in the south or vice versa.