Battery not taking charge.

Old 05-04-20, 01:55 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Battery not taking charge.

!992 Geo Metro here, car has been sitting and I have put the charger on the battery from time to time, but I think it may have bit the dust. I have the charger on 6 amps for over 24 hours but still will not turn over the engine. The battery voltage is about 12.24. The charger voltage has not come down as it does when the battery is charged.
Is there any hope for longer charging? I have just left it on. Has anybody had success with a battery like this? I don't want to buy a battery for it until I am ready to put it back on the road. But I want to run it to work on it. I know there are a lot of people who know a lot about batteries. Battery gets midly warm and bubbles but has water.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-20, 01:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,105 Votes on 1,025 Posts
If battery gets warm and bubbles but doesn't charge..... it's shot.
The battery voltage should be just over 14 volts when connected to most chargers.

Do the cells have caps and are they full ?

Old 05-05-20, 03:02 PM
R
The cells have caps and water covers plates. Since last time I did get the car started. And the voltage has risen a bit to 12.33. I think the solenoid might also be balky because the click sounds pretty strong. Then it did start (with charger on of course).
Now the next problems (2). A new topic. Update: With the battery still slightly warm and bubbling, I now read 12.57 which would be fully charged for this battery, but the charger has not yet dropped. I have it on 2 amps so I think that is safe.

Last edited by richard123vmt; 05-05-20 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-05-20, 04:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,105 Votes on 1,025 Posts
As the battery voltage goes up...... the charge current goes down. That is not happening in your case. Your battery voltage should rise and be at least 13.8v when on charge for a while.

Old 05-06-20, 11:09 AM
R
I think I should have quit at 12.57. I left it on hoping the automatic feature would kick in. But apparently it is possible to overcharge at 2 amps because my voltage now is 10.55. So I guess I should get a walmart battery and get that over with.