Smoking catalytic converter.

Old 05-05-20, 03:12 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smoking catalytic converter.

That is, smoke coming off the body--not out the exhaust.
The car has been sitting for two years. The work I did was replace the torque converter, meaning remove the tranny. There is a slight leak at the bottom of the transmission but I don't see anything above the CC. I wonder if a rat could have moved into my muffler? That is my most likely theory. But the leak is also likely if I could find it. But the way it smoked more and more as it warmed up, makes me suspect a clog. A leak would not go up that way. I don't know much about CCs. Any troubleshooting advice?
The other thing is the EGR valve not moving, but experience has shown that would not make the CC smoke. I am trying to resurrect this car, but the Devil keeps pulling it back into the Grave. Incidentally, the CC had on it only about 5k. It was a new california compliant CC.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-20, 03:43 PM
Received 356 Votes on 332 Posts
Not much to a catalytic converter, a mix of precious metals that simply converts exhaust gasses to less volatile mix.

If something is burning then something is on the converter, they go bad but they tend to plug up and cause engine problems!

Old 05-06-20, 05:36 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 599 Votes on 553 Posts
After two years sitting it's probably a layer of dust burning off. Cat's get pretty hot normally but if the engine is sending too much un-burned fuel out the exhaust the cat can overheat. Running too hot can damage the cat and can melt or burn the insulation & carpet above.

Old 05-07-20, 03:53 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I used some cleaner on a paper towel to clean the top of the CC but it came off clean. But I ran it again and entire exhaust smoked but it did not feel unduly hot. It is always pretty spooky what cars need to be run a while before they straighten out. Not that parts might not be needed. I flushed the transmission, a big step since there is concern after failed TC. I flushed good used replacement TC along with it.