Recall of Harbor Freight Jack Stands that can fail and kill you

Old 05-21-20, 03:27 AM
H
Received 69 Votes on 60 Posts
Recall of Harbor Freight Jack Stands that can fail and kill you

SAFETY RECALL
3 Ton and 6 Ton Heavy Duty Steel Jack Stands item numbers 56371, 61196, and 61197

STOP USING THESE JACK STANDS IMMEDIATELY
For certain units of the Pittsburgh Automotive 3 Ton and 6 Ton Heavy Duty Steel Jack Stands there is a potential, while under load and with a shift in weight, for the pawl to disengage from the extension lifting post, allowing the stand to drop suddenly. This condition could cause serious injury for people near or under a lifted vehicle, and/or damage to property.

The 61196 and 61197 jack stands can be identified by checking the item number found on the yellow part of the label on the base of each jack stand. The 56371 jack stands can be identified by checking the item number found on the label on the top of each jack stand. Following the lifting of any applicable “Shelter At Home Orders”, please bring your 3 Ton and/or 6 Ton Heavy Duty Steel Jack Stands, item numbers 61196, 61197, and 56371 to your local Harbor Freight Tools store to receive a Harbor Freight Tools gift card equal to the retail price of the jack stands you originally purchased (plus applicable tax).

THIS RECALL ONLY CONCERNS JACK STANDS WITH THE ITEMS #61196, 61197, or 56371 61196 and 61197 jack stands can be identified by checking the item number found on the yellow part of the label on the base of each jack stand. In cooperation with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Post until December 31, 2021 56371 jack stands can be identified by checking the item number found on the label on the top of each jack stand ITEM #:56371 ITEM #S: 61196, 61197
For more information email: [email protected].
https://images.harborfreight.com/hft...1196_61197.pdf

Sponsored Links

Popular Reply

05-22-20, 01:58 PM
Shadeladie
Super Moderator
Received 90 Votes on 70 Posts
Well if they’re giving them away and you have a choice, of course you’re going to pick the best brand. If you have to buy it, especially with limited funds, that’s a different story.

Old 05-21-20, 03:32 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 203 Votes on 180 Posts
I assume this is with some of their newer jack stands. I have four 6 ton stands and two of their 3 ton stands all of which were bought many years ago and have very different numbers.
Definitely something that anyone with HF jack stands needs to check out!

Old 05-21-20, 04:26 AM
Received 237 Votes on 224 Posts
And you wonder why I keep saying the only thing good about HF is being able to use their 20% coupon somewhere else!!

Really cheap China krap!

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 05-21-20, 04:50 AM
Group Moderator
Received 45 Votes on 36 Posts
About all I buy there are consumables - zip ties, gloves, bungee cords, stuff like that.

Old 05-21-20, 05:03 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
IMO they have a lot of good tools considering the price .... many of which I couldn't afford if I could only get the name brand. Most of their hand tools are durable.

Old 05-21-20, 06:43 AM
W
Received 12 Votes on 11 Posts
Thanks for the alert. I think I have a pair. Will check.

Old 05-21-20, 08:05 AM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
I have plenty of HFT tools that work fine, including 96 gal compressor that runs for 14 yrs by now. I have their cordless, 2 of them, that will rip your hand off, they have so much torque. I have impact gun from them that works but is gutless and air wrench that is same way.
I have their jack stands and hydraulic jack.
I'd say, I have 90% success with what they sell, it is getting better and return or exchange is a breeze.

Old 05-21-20, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator
Really cheap China krap!
Even pricey brand name things can be made in China these days and even things made here, can use cheap parts made in China, so I don't think HF is alone.

Old 05-21-20, 09:49 AM
H
Received 69 Votes on 60 Posts
even things made here, can use cheap parts made in China, so I don't think HF is alone.
"Tolerances" or as my dad explained it to me VERY simply as a kid, a "GO / no-GO gauge"

When any company orders mechanical parts for equipment, they include specifications and tolerances.
For example, if you order 1,000 hydraulic pistons that are 1" diameter (+/- ).001" there USED TO BE an actual gauge made of tool steel, with a large hole at 1.001" diameter (GO) and a small hole 0.999" diameter (NO GO).
The piston has to GO through the big hole, or it is rejected and goes into a "rejected to big" bin.
The piston next has to NOT GO through the small hole to go to the ACCEPTED-bin, otherwise it is rejected and goes into a "rejected to small" bin. The pistons in the ACCEPTED bin meet specifications and are sold to the customer.

Now, if the company is ALSO making the 1.01" cylinder for the hydraulic piston (1.01" because the cylinder has to be a BIT bigger than the piston to accommodate seals/rings) then there would be ANOTHER GO/NO GO gauge with a tool steel plug to sort the hydraulic cylinders into "rejected to big" and "rejected to small" and "ACCCEPTED"

Now, IF you're the manufacturer, you sell the ACCEPTABLE pistons & cylinders to the customer.
If you want to make some additional money, you take all the rejected "too BIG" pistons and and all the rejected "too BIG" cylinders and assemble them into working-but-not-to-specifications-tools. Repeat the process with the rejected-too-SMALL parts.

I strongly suspect this is why you find "knockoff" versions of high quality tools - which are part-for-part identical. The materials aren't necessarily cheaper or different from the higher end tool, the cheaper tool is likely assembled from parts that were out of spec.

Old 05-21-20, 03:50 PM
so I don't think HF is alone
So I have 7 tool boxes in the basement, most are SK tools from my Great Grandfather where the family farm was located in Bucklin MO. I can not even begin to guess what the replacement cost would be, wonder what a 4th generation set of HF tools would be worth?

I've said so many times, tools are not an expense, they are an investment, buy a good tool it will last a lifetime, buy junk then you'll be back asking about what is a good tool, cheaper to buy quality from the start.

So lets play a game!

Congratulations, you just won a 1000 tool assortment of hand tools, power tools, air tools and misc accessories.
We need you to pick from the 3 suppliers and your tools will be sent within the next 2 weeks.

1) Snap-On
2) Crapsman
3) Harbor Freight

Be honest which brand are you going to pick!

Old 05-22-20, 02:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
You miss the point, it's better to have a cheap tool that will do the job than no tool at all.
Not trying to discount the value of a quality tool but for those that either can't afford or justify the cost of the name brand tool - the cheaper tools have their place.

Old 05-22-20, 04:22 AM
Received 169 Votes on 154 Posts
I have agree with Marksr on this one. Many times a customer will come in the store to fix an item (very often its a toilet), but they don't have the tools to remove the spud nut or similar item. I'll sell the cheap wrench just to get the job done. Most likely they will never use it again. Or maybe the widow or young girl just starting out there own, need just basic tools for misc items. No need to buy Snap-On tool to install a curtain rod.

Then theirs the guy like me. I spent $600 to buy a MIG welder to try and fix a $150 lawn roller.

Old 05-22-20, 04:40 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I spent $600 to buy a MIG welder to try and fix a $150 lawn roller.
That's what guys like us do when we have the money no such thing as too many tools!

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 05-22-20, 10:37 AM
W
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Norm, you did it! (bought a mig welder) I havent seen the picture of the repaired lawn roller! (or was "try" the key word here lol?

Old 05-22-20, 10:57 AM
W
Harbor Freight tools

I have run into Chinese made tool trap many times. but remember that(trash) stigma was attached to "made in Japan" stuff for many years. Do a tutorial on how Honda builds their motorcycle, and other products years ago, and today. I have a Harbor Freight engine lift in the garage that has been seen going down the the street to a local kids car project more often than I care to think about, for 30 years. I finally had to replace the cylinder but that was on me, not Harbor Freight. I also have some Pittsburge brand air tools that I have owned for years, that I just plug in the air to and they do what I need. I have some first class stuff too (that I use MOST of the time, but if I need something two flights down in my house. I can keep a set of knock offs down there pretty cheaply, and don't have to bring them back up!

Old 05-22-20, 12:09 PM
I'll sell the cheap wrench just to get the job done.
Were not talking about the one off situations, I've even bought a Ryobi biscuit cutter when I was building that kitchen island about 15 years ago, but you would never see me recommending anything Ryobi for a miter saw, lawn trimmer, or battery powered drill.

Be honest which brand are you going to pick!
I have noticed nobody has answered the question!

Old 05-22-20, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator
Well if they’re giving them away and you have a choice, of course you’re going to pick the best brand. If you have to buy it, especially with limited funds, that’s a different story.

marksr, Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 05-22-20, 03:06 PM
Received 169 Votes on 154 Posts
Norm, you did it! (bought a mig welder) I havent seen the picture of the repaired lawn roller! (or was "try" the key word here lol?
I was waiting for someone ask.

Well I need to collect some scrap metal to practice on. So thsi past week I scoured the neighborhood and ask neighbors to give me any scrap they had. So I managed to get some old steel saw horses, and several old TV dinner trays.

Now it's just a matter of finding the time. Tomorrow my daughter gets married so that day is shot. And work has me buried in screen repairs. Any free time (meaning my own time) I'm going in to do do repairs. In the past week on any given day I have over 60 screen repairs to do. For every one I complete seems like two more come in. To day a I left work I had 63 units. I'm going in tonight to try and catch up just s bit.

So by the time I get o playing with the MIG it may be a couple of weeks.

But thanks for asking.

Old 05-22-20, 04:24 PM
W
Well don't get discouraged as welding is really an art, but if you stay with it, you will slowly figure out the heat ranges, wire speeds, and the hand and arm movements that will get you that weld bead that looks acceptable to you. I have an autodark helmet that I ALWAYS test with an overhead florescent light just before I hit the trigger. Those unprotected flash blasts will scare the hell out of you enough to learn to MAKE SURE YOUR HELMET is ready to protect you. Another tip is always wear leather gloves. a couple of inadvertent moves with your hands after you have heated something up to welding temperature will get your attention too, if not a trip to the emergency room. (Sorry that is the voice of ACTUAL experience. If you bought a model that uses Argon, or a mix, make sure you check your tank valve OFTEN after your done. THEY WILL LEAK OUT OF THE UNIT!

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 05-22-20, 11:47 PM
THEY WILL LEAK OUT OF THE UNIT!
Weve been down that path, for now he isnt using gas!

And, you never leave the machine pressurised, always close the tank and bleed the machine and regulators, unscrew the pressure adjusting key/knob!

Old 05-23-20, 05:43 AM
Group Moderator
Received 129 Votes on 114 Posts
Congratulations, you just won a 1000 tool assortment of hand tools, power tools, air tools and misc accessories.
We need you to pick from the 3 suppliers and your tools will be sent within the next 2 weeks.

1) Snap-On
2) Crapsman
3) Harbor Freight
I would likely pick Craftsman. If you pick Snap-on you would only get 2 or 3 tools as they are crazy overpriced. Harbor Freight's quality is not there. Craftsman is a good compromise but would violate my rule of never getting a Craftsman tool with a motor.

You make it sound like all the other brands have never had a product recall.

Old 05-23-20, 08:46 AM
W
LOL my rule is never get a Craftsman tool with an ENGINE, even if you get it for free you are going to pay for it really quick!

Old 05-23-20, 01:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 129 Votes on 114 Posts
LOL my rule is never get a Craftsman tool with an ENGINE
That used to be my rule by then I had a couple of their electric power tools crap out so it had been entended to anything with a motor.

frank1046 voted this post useful.