Pt cruiser shift cable

Old 05-27-20, 02:03 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pt cruiser shift cable

Hi all,
have a question on my 02 pt cruiser. The tranny shift cable broke about 6 months ago and my local shop put a new cable on. Today it started acting up and with this Covid crap the shop is closed until further notice. All I can think is that the cable stretched a bit and needs adjustment. When I Put it in park it wouldn’t start and when I put in neutral it started fine. Went to put in reverse and it wouldn’t go anywhere until I moved the shift knob a bit past reverse. Do these typicallly need adjusting after new and how difficult is it to do on a pt cruiser. Thx

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-20, 04:14 PM
Received 356 Votes on 332 Posts
I haven't worked on a PT but the adjustment is typ right at the shifter inside the console!

https://www.2carpros.com/questions/shifting-cable

Old 05-28-20, 05:01 AM
Group Moderator
Received 53 Votes on 43 Posts
I get a fair number of tow calls for shift cable issues, I had a rash of them last month for some reason. I don't recall ever having anyone mention anything about having problems after a repair/replacement. Marq may be right on the adjustment location, but might also be at the tranny end. I think I would look there first to see if something obvious is visible before tearing into the console. Adjustment, if there is a method, should be pretty straight forward. Hardest part will probably be gaining access.