2010 Dodge Avenger Troubleshooting Help Needed

Old 07-08-20, 10:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question 2010 Dodge Avenger Troubleshooting Help Needed

I purchase this vehicle late last fall. Weird things have been happening, the check engine light go on, but doesn't stay on all the time. When I was driving it suddenly the rpm shot way up even though I was going about 50. Then it stopped after a couple of minutes. Don't have any idea what caused it. Checked my transmission oil, it was okay.

When I start the car I get a display that the oil is hot, and change the oil, even though the oil has been change. And I notice if I don't wait for the display to go back to normal and start driving it increases the chance of the rpm going up for a minute or two then back to normal. I've have my inside light coming on when I used my turn signal. That was really weird.

I was driving with the cruise control on, the all of a sudden it stopped working. I tried turning off the engine and restarted it to see if the cruise would work again, but it would not. A few days later I drove it and the cruise was working again. Sometimes the right front window won't roll down, I have to keep working the button to get it to roll .

At one time when I didn't drive the car for a few days the battery would go dead. I took it to my mechanic and let it sit for a few days, but it started for him. I am having all these things happening, but am unable to find a solution to what is causing it. This one is a real head scratcher. I could really use some input from a trouble shooting expert. I need something to go on so I can have my mechanic fix it.
If anyone can help with this please post.

Thanks for reading my post.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-20, 04:27 AM
B
Received 73 Votes on 64 Posts
You discuss many issues that require various electrical measuring devices to troubleshoot the issues. You can purchase these devices or have a Dodge service department or a trusted mechanic do the work. I would first get a digital ac/dc multimeter (with DC amps selection) and read the ignition off drain (DC amps) on the battery. You should be able to get the value for your car from a Dodge service department or your trusted mechanic. Usually the drain decreases over time (1 hour) to a minimum value. If you read more than the acceptable value, this is a clue to your issues. I would also purchase an OBD code reader. When the check engine light comes on, use the OBD code reader to read the faults the on board computers have detected. These faults usually begin with a P followed by 4 digits. Looking up the definition of these codes should give you more clues to the cause of your issues. I doubt there is one correction that will fix all issues so be patient

Old 07-11-20, 07:13 AM
Arrow Did do that

My mechanic did to that check on the battery and told me there was very little drain on the battery. I'm taking it back to them next week and will let them know what you said. This problem(s) is like and itch you can't scratch.

Old 07-12-20, 07:29 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
to address one thing that could cause a few of your problems. battery drain/loss of cruise. could be a sticking brake light switch. window issue is clearly the window switch.

Old 07-13-20, 02:51 AM
Received 311 Votes on 291 Posts
Ive read stories where used cars get in floods start having all kinds or strange electrical issues months and years after the incident as the electrical connectors and modules start rusting.

Have him pull a body harness connector apart down in the floor area, see if it's wet or rusty!

Old 07-13-20, 04:43 AM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 36 Votes on 29 Posts
I have a question about the RPM's. You say the RPMs just randomly race up. Now to be clear, does the engine actually race up or is it just the RPM gauge that races up?

Old 07-13-20, 05:07 PM
Arrow

The engine actually races.

Old 07-23-20, 04:20 PM
Exclamation Still Looking for Troubleshooting Expert

Wellsir ... my mechanic replaced the battery and the battery posts ... no change. The cruise control when out again and after driving to the store the car would not start when I came out from the store. The engine would crank, but It acted like it was not getting fuel. I had to try starting it several times to get it to start and I rushed home which fortunately wasn't very far because the engine was running rough. It stalled several times when I got into my driveway. The check engine light was flashing, A temp. icon (I think) was in the display, and I saw a red electrical icon also. After letting it sit for an hour it started up no problem.

I'm taking it back to my mechanic next week. Any idea what else to check?

Old 07-27-20, 09:03 PM
C
None of us would like the situation of a broken car in the middle of the road, but if that bad luck happens, we still need to face it. We have to review the process from the time the vehicle is operating until it stops completely to see if there are any warning signs or there may be warning signs but we do not pay attention.

Old 07-28-20, 07:39 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
check codes i bet it has a throttle body issue.

Old 07-29-20, 12:59 AM
C
If every start of the car is not sensitive, the boot takes more time than before, the driver often has to press the start button continuously and it feels like the vehicle is getting weaker, not as strong as before. the car is getting weaker, gradually depleting the amount of electricity inside. In this case, the car owner should clamp the extreme end of the weak battery with a large battery. Then let the appliance sit in place for thirty minutes. The last step is to turn off the engine and restart the car.
The battery is now charged and can function as normal. However, if you have done this method and the car still cannot start the engine quickly, you should replace the battery immediately, because perhaps the battery will not only run out of electricity but also fail. Another manifestation of the weak battery condition is the car horn and some light bulbs have been weakened. When you notice that the horn is not as loud and loud as before, the car owner should check the battery. A good battery will help the car horn to make a loud, clear sound. Therefore weak horn is also one of the signs of battery deterioration.

Old 07-29-20, 08:23 AM
Arrow Been there done that

As I stated in my last post the battery and posts were replaced.

Old 07-29-20, 08:28 AM
Arrow Yes that the route we are taking

That's what I asked him to do ... check the codes and see what he gets. They have the car now, but I don't know when he will be able to get to it.