Need very small LED

Old 07-15-20, 12:21 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Need very small LED

Not sure where to put this but since it's going in a car, I'm starting here. Just bought a 2008 Chrysler Sebring from a neighbor for the daughter to drive. One of the flaws in the vehicle is the dashboard/instrument cluster lights do not work (known and common issue if you google it). Fixing it is looking more and more like an expensive crapshoot so I'm looking for a work-around: if I could attach a very small LED to the top of the steering column, I think it would do the job. Would have to be battery operated and switched so it could be turned off when not needed. Anyone have any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-20, 02:15 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Votes on 260 Posts
My tractor had [housing broke] a 12 volt light between the steering column and the gauges. It worked well but it was enclosed in a housing that directed the light forward. I would think you'd want to do the same thing.

I know incandescent 120 volt bulbs will light up with 12 volt at a reduced output, I don't know if the same is true for LED.

Old 07-15-20, 04:51 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 587 Votes on 541 Posts
You could buy an individual LED and put it together with a resistor and switch and power it off the car's 12v system or power it with a battery. If someone forgets to turn the light off (easy to do) then they may be stuck somewhere at night without dash lights.

If you're planning on it being battery powered you could look at a flashlight. I have several where you can select the brightness. I would also consider headlamps. Many of them can vary their brightness and some have red LED's in addition to white.

You could get some self adhesive 12v LED tape lights. Some can work with dimmers. A piece on the bottom of the sunshade above the instrument cluster might work. If there is a glare toward the driver a bead of black silicone caulk would block it.

Old 07-15-20, 11:53 AM
Received 11 Votes on 8 Posts
I doubt outside light will work.
Reason being, it will reflect from the cluster front cover and that's it.
Better option is to pull cluster out and replace existing bulbs with LED. Fortunately, China made them in plenty and in all sizes.

Old 07-16-20, 04:42 AM
B
Received 81 Votes on 72 Posts
Dollar store has a clamp on battery operated LED light with a switch that might do the job.

Old 07-18-20, 09:59 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Igor - the real solution is what you propose but it's not the lights that have failed, there is a known defect in these panels and it's the wiring within it which has failed. Replacement part is $594 and pretty much guaranteed to fail again.

I like the dollar store idea, going to head there tomorrow.

The one thought I've had since posting this is one of those fake tealamp candles - I think I could mount it an angle which would leave the switch available.