2009 Ford Focus; Leaky AC Information

Old 07-15-20, 04:55 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2009 Ford Focus; Leaky AC Information

Hello, I am new to this forum and this will be my first official post. Since it is supposed to be 90 with high humidity over the next several days here in Ohio I thought I should share my AC charging experience. Here is the story.....

My Wife's ac unit lost it charge approximately 5 years ago. I never had much luck charging AC systems in the past. All the older vehicles I repaired required the low pressure switch to be jumper-ed out . They would work fine, but not until the switch was eliminated. Anyways back to my Wife's car.

I took her 2009 Ford Focus to one of the local reputable garages. They charged the AC and added dye to the system to check for leaks. It worked for a day or two and promptly leaked off again. I pulled out my UV light and inspected the car. The source of the leak was coming from the heater box drain hole in the firewall (see picture). I researched a little and came to the conclusion that the evaporator behind the dash panel was leaking. I purchased a new evaporator and researched the process required to replace the faulty unit. It is a rather extensive job that requires the entire dash to be removed. Needlessly to say I was not in too big of a hurry to remove the entire dash panel. During my procrastinating I stumbled across a discounted / on sale freon at Rural King. I bought a few cans because it was a good deal. I figured what the heck I will give it a shot at refilling the system. I thought at this point I have nothing to loose since the evaporator needs replaced. Much to my surprised that fixed the leak!

It is still functioning great today and I still have the new evaporator in the original box. I can only rationalize this by thinking the evaporator was leaking because a dried out o-ring connection at the evaporator, the initial re-charge from the shop lubricated the system and my discount refill caused the o-rings to expand and reseal. Anyways their is hope where I once thought their were none. Give it a try if your system leaks off. It's worth the discount can of freon.

I just released a video of a basic oil change on the same car. Check out my YouTube channel; Flat Thunder if you get bored. I share a few tips and tricks on the oil change process.

Thanks!

Heater Box Drain / Visible Dye

Last edited by PJmax; 07-15-20 at 07:49 PM. Reason: removed you tube link
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-20, 07:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,037 Votes on 961 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You got very lucky there. Usually when dye is coming out of the drain in indicates a rotted evaporator coil. I had that happen in my Ford van. It got too expensive recharging it so I gave up.

Typically there are no O ring connections inside the dash.
They're usually visible outside of the firewall.

Old 07-17-20, 05:30 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
100% Luck!

Hi! I agree it definitely was luck. I was skeptical even after it was repaired, but after a few years concluded it must have worked . I'll keep that new evaporator in the closest. I am sure it will eventually let loose. I'm not usually this lucky.

Old 07-18-20, 06:04 PM
Received 21 Votes on 21 Posts
@ PJmax would that be your van with the Navistar International DT444E AKA PowerStroke diesel when used in those Ford applications.

Old 07-18-20, 06:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,037 Votes on 961 Posts
Yup. Been without A/C for the last 5 years or so.

Old 07-18-20, 06:35 PM
Received 21 Votes on 21 Posts
Wow that sucks majorly bad, although when I was in middle & high school those school buses did not have AC (unless it was the hand-caped wheel chair capable one, or a car) Now a days almost all school vehicles are equipped with AC.