Change spark plugs?

Old 07-17-20, 11:03 AM
B
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Change spark plugs?

I am having a fight with myself! A have a 2008 Taurus SE, V-6, with 120,000 miles. It runs great, starts and idles great and gets the same mileage it did new. What I'm struggling with are the original spark plugs and wires. One part of me says I should change the plugs because owners manual says (I think) 90,000 miles and I'm a believer in good maintenance. The other part of me says if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Opinions?

FYI, things sure have changed. My first car was a '57 chevy and I changed plugs, wires, points, condenser, rotor and cap every fall! Also checked timing at the same time. Now I look under the hood and I don't have a clue!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-20, 11:14 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,051 Votes on 975 Posts
On my previous vehicles they were Ford vans with 460-V8 engines. I'd replace the plugs every 20k miles..... about once a year. I could always tell the difference with new plugs. My current van is diesel with no plugs.

I'm not a big fan of leaving plugs in for over 100k miles although that's what many mfg's recommend.
If that was me.... I'd change the plugs.

Old 07-17-20, 12:12 PM
L
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Don't you have the same double cam engine as in the 2005 500? Is so, I think it will require more parts removal than one would usually encounter just to change plugs.

Old 07-17-20, 12:43 PM
B
Lakeseed, I have no clue. But I did some research online and it sounds like what you're talking about; lots of "stuff" to remove to get at the back plugs. Which means more than I would want to tackle myself. Seems like not much under the hood is DIY friendly now like it was when I was a kid.

Old 07-17-20, 01:07 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
My wife used to have a 2004 [?] Mecury Sable, basically the same car. I'm thinking the owner's manual on it said to change the plugs around 110k. On her 3.0 V6 the back plugs were easy to get to [had to do it by feel] but you had to take off the coil pack or something to remove the front plugs.

Today's cars self adjust for worn plugs so it might not be as good as you think. I'd replace them and use iridium plugs like it came with.

Old 07-17-20, 01:59 PM
Received 357 Votes on 333 Posts
It runs great, starts and idles great and gets the same mileage it did new
So you answered your own question, so how much is that maintenance procedure going to cost and do you think you will own the car after another 120K miles???

So even if something starts going bad, it's not like it's going to leave you stranded, you will have enough warning!

Old 07-17-20, 02:45 PM
B
Marq1 that's part of my dilemma.It's been by far the most reliable car I've ever owned. Only 2 things ever went wrong that I considered outside regular maintenance: a ball joint and a heater door actuator. I drive a car until something happens that costs more than the car is worth, it becomes unreliable, or it rusts into the sunset. None of that is happening at this time. Waiting to hear back from my mechanic on cost.

Old 07-17-20, 02:52 PM
R
Received 28 Votes on 24 Posts
You might look for some You Tube videos on the subject. It will either scare you into paying to have it done or put your mind at ease at doing them yourself. I have a F-150 with the 5.4 engine and they are not fun to change but very doable if I take my time.

Old 07-17-20, 03:22 PM
L
I sold my 500 in early 2015 so its been a while since I looked under the hood but I seem to remember its the intake manifold that has to come off.

XSleeper voted this post useful.
Old 07-17-20, 03:50 PM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 35 Posts
I love my 5.7 Hemi, but it has 16 plugs.... two for each cylinder. It costs me about $300+ to get the plugs changed.

My first (& only) plug change was at about 150,000 miles. I couldnt really tell any difference in performance. Its currently got 207,000+ miles on it. I just had two coil packs changed... less than $100 to replace two including labor.

My point.... at $300, is it worth it to you & your pocket book? If so, do it for peace of mind, just be done with it & live worry free. If not, like Mark said, its not something that is just gonna quit & leave you stranded. Keep an eye on fuel mileage & performance. Then change as needed.

Old 07-18-20, 06:33 AM
Received 11 Votes on 8 Posts
1. never say "I have reliable car".
2. change plugs. Yes, on transverse V6 it's usually a ***** to get to, maybe cowl removed, maybe engine lowered, maybe both.It's always better to spend half day and scratch forearms, than to get stuck in place unpleasant. PLugs are NOT forever, cars do NOT adjust for worn out plugs and when they fail, they fail. Get set of Ir tipped Japan made replacement, good for another 100K miles.

Old 07-18-20, 07:09 AM
Group Moderator
Received 645 Votes on 597 Posts
Depends which V6 you have. On my 2013 F150 3.7L the intake has to be removed.

Old 07-18-20, 01:51 PM
A
Received 18 Votes on 17 Posts
really up to you most likely failure will just cause a misfire on one cylinder and even then it probably wont be do to worn out plugs, modern double platinum and iridium plugs have very little wear even at 100k miles but they still can be fouled from oil deposits but more likely to occur on higher mileage engines, they can still get carbon tracked from wire or coil boot degrading. you will probably want to fix it as soon as possible when you do get a misfire if you do decide to wait.

Old 07-19-20, 07:25 AM
C
Some people get 50,000 miles on 40,000 mile tires. Do they change them or wait until??? Yes, you can see tires and make a semi educated guess on when. You cannot see plugs without removing them. Personally I would do them now, not wait until??? Plus, it is said the reason they set a recommended replacement interval is because eventually the plugs become fused in place more or less. The mileage interval is partly because of this, not just wear on the plugs.