Old car I once owned

Old 07-22-20, 11:34 AM
E
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Old car I once owned

This is a little far fetched but I will ask anyway. Back in the day (1970 to 1973) I owned a 1969 Dodge Dart Swinger with a 340 cu. in engine that I really loved and wish I still had. However, when I got married in 1972 my wife and I figured it was probably something we couldn't afford so I sold it. I sold it to a used car dealer locally but I know he no longer has it. In fact I am almost sure the lot is owned and run by someone else. I do not have the VIN or anything else (title, insurance card, etc.). Is there a way I could find that car after all these years? Thanks.

Rich

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-20, 12:30 PM
T
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Without a vin your pretty much at a dead end.

Old 07-22-20, 12:44 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
I'd probably search for a similar car, one that needs some work and rebuild it to more/less match the one you had.

Old 07-22-20, 02:40 PM
Received 356 Votes on 332 Posts
Even with the VIN you would need to have access to the states registration system and they simply dont give that information out to anybody.

The info is there, I got title to my 68 bug couple years ago, they punched the VIN in and found it had been stolen off the new car lot. They had to contact that state to verify that it was resolved, it was!

Now if you had a good friend that was a cop!

But again, no VIN, nothing to go by!

Old 07-22-20, 06:28 PM
W
Received 12 Votes on 12 Posts
Hopeless Project

I tried to find a 1940 Ford Coupe I had almost finished putting in a 330 Hemi engine in 1965. I was invited to join the Army, and had no barn to hide it if I made it back after the Vietnam war. I sold it without the sense to keep the numbers on it. I have a picture of it, but no VIN either. For the same money to do it now, I might as well buy a Challenger with the big Hemi in it lol

Old 07-23-20, 05:44 AM
Group Moderator
Received 53 Votes on 43 Posts
they simply dont give that information out to anybody.
Unless you are a telemarketer. They don't seem to have any trouble getting mine and calling to tell me my warranty has expired, yada yada yada.

I feel the "lost car" pain. Had a 1966 Austin-Healey Sprite (my first car, bought and paid for by me) when I was 16-18. Sold it right before I went off to MCRD Parris Island, SC in 1972. Worst car buying/selling mistake I ever made.

Old 07-23-20, 07:41 AM
L
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Your car is probably beautifully restored and not for sale or went to the crusher decades ago.

Old 07-23-20, 11:20 AM
H
Received 90 Votes on 79 Posts
1) Reconstruct a partial VIN from what you already know about the car
You can reconstruct a partial vin from what you've already said about the car.
https://itstillruns.com/decipher-cod...t-7366189.html
The first digits of the VIN would probably be be "LM23P9F"
L-Dodge Dart
M- Medium price
23 - 2 door hard top
P - 340 engine
F - Newark Delaware

Then go to the big database of 1969 Dodge Dart Swinger 340 VINS.
https://www.decodethis.com/archives/...0Swinger%20340
and use "crtrl-f" to search for LM23P9F cars

-edit well, here are two possible VINS from that database...
LM23P9F122234
LM23P9F140149

2) Check around for a local MOPAR car club, ALSO check around for the SE Pennsylvania Hemi owners club. Both of them will have spent lots of time searching VINs and keeping track of cars.

3) Finally, you MIGHT also check online databases like "Newspapers.com" which have been scanning and OCR's the major newspapers for the Philly metro area - so you MIGHT find a newspaper adds from the used car lot that you sold the car to.

Old 07-23-20, 12:00 PM
E
One or the other! There was a similar Swinger for sale near my hometown about 30 or 40 years ago. My ex-wife said it was the one I had so my son and I went and looked at it. It wasn't mine. When you have a car that you loved you know everything about it, but one way I knew it wasn't mine was this: when I still had it I installed a bracket for my 8-track player. It was the type bracket that I could remove every night and take it inside with me. I put the bracket on the under side of the dash right under the ash tray. There should have been some screw holes there even if the bracket was gone but there were none. Plus when I sat on the driver's seat it just didn't feel right. If both of those things would have been good I would have bought it for the asking price of 5 grand. But I didn't! I wish I would have kept an insurance card or owner's card or something that had the VIN number on it. By the way, thanks for your comments.

Old 07-23-20, 12:13 PM
E
Thank you for all that information. I did try the two VIN numbers you suggested on decodethis.com but both times I was told the VIN numbers are 17 digits. I didn't think that was correct back in the 70's but they should know better. I will try the MOPAR clubs and the SE Pa. hemi club and see what I can come up with. It's easy to say now but I should have kept that car. Young and dumb!

Old 07-23-20, 01:04 PM
H
Received 90 Votes on 79 Posts
A quick clarification- you'll need to search on "LM23P9" VINs, without the manufacturing plant code.
With around 20,000 Dodge Darts made in 1969, they would have shipped them from all over the place.

Old 07-23-20, 03:55 PM
Z
Received 17 Votes on 17 Posts
ernie -
I canít add anything to all the excellent info already given, and this a little off the point Ė but boy those Dodge Dart Swingers were nice cars. Those were the days. I had a 1969 Plymouth GTX back then and my brother had a 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner. Wish I would have kept mine. Hope you get lucky somehow and find yours.

Old 07-23-20, 04:13 PM
Received 10 Votes on 7 Posts
I worked at Chrysler Canada in Windsor, ON from 1964 to 1973.
We built some great cars back then. We built the 340 in Windsor and I had a buddy who worked on the 340/360 engine design in Auburn Hills MI.
It was a blast running the finished 340s on the roll test before shipping

Good luck finding your car .. you brought back some great memories