2003 camry ignition immobilizer

Old 08-05-20, 07:35 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2003 camry ignition immobilizer

I'm working on my stepson's 2003 Camry & have noticed his ignition lock cylinder needs replacing. Is there a definitive way to determine if his car has an Immobilizer? I've called the local Toyota Dealership & was given a very vague answer at best. I've also read on the Internet to wrap the part of the key that would contain the Immobilizer Chip & if the car doesn't start, you have an Immobilizer. It seems to make sense, but is there a more effective way?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-20, 09:38 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,045 Votes on 969 Posts
It is very confusing. I need the full info for the vehicle.
Engine size, any body designations or packages.

You can usually tell by the key. Does it have a part number on it ?
Is it a key/door lock combo ?

Old 08-05-20, 10:31 AM
B
The key has no part # on it & the key is standalone; the key is not built into the FOB.

Last edited by PJmax; 08-05-20 at 07:58 PM. Reason: removed vin
Old 08-05-20, 08:01 PM
Group Moderator
I don't have a VIN book. That would be a dealer item.

As far as I can tell a 2003 Camry has the chip in the key. Both the keys in the picture are chip keys.
You should also see "theft" come up somewhere on the cluster when turning the key on before starting.

Old 08-07-20, 08:08 AM
B
I browsed the Internet & read that if you envelope the part of a key containing the Immobilizer Chip with tin foil, that the car won't start. Have you or anyone tried this with a known functioning Immobilizer Key & found this to be true?

Just to confirm that I'm diagnosing in the right direction, I'm working on my stepson's 2003 Camry LE. You can turn the steering wheel either far right or far left & the theft prevention locking function still works. When you insert the key to start the car, intermittently, the key won't turn at all. He has 2 keys; the backup is rarely used,but both can't be turned. Currently, the steering wheel isn't locked, but rather, it turns freely both right & left. Is this indicative of a bad ignition lock cylinder, or?

Last edited by bobioni57; 08-07-20 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Forgot additional information
Old 08-07-20, 11:10 PM
Group Moderator
There is an antenna ring in the plastic shroud around the tumbler. The immobilizer is strictly electronic. It doesn't lock the wheel. It either won't allow the car to crank or it cuts the fuel. Tin foil may work as a test.

If the keys randomly won't turn..... that would be a tumbler problem.