2005 Toyota Corolla gas cap

Old 09-04-20, 12:22 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2005 Toyota Corolla gas cap

Can anyone tell me how a gas cap goes bad? 7 years ago my gas cap was replaced by the dealer. My check engine light came on a couple of months ago and it was diagnosed as the gas cap. I was told to clean around the area of the cap to see if that would fix it. It didn't. I only drive around 3,000 miles a year (I only have 34,000 miles on the car) so it's not like the cap is being taken off a lot. I can remember the days that when you had to replace the gas cap it was because you lost the the one you were using.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-20, 12:40 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Are you turning the cap until it clicks a few times? The recommendation to clean it assumes it's not sealing properly. I don't think I've ever replaced a gas cap unless it got lost. .... except on my tractor where the old cap wasn't venting properly.

Old 09-04-20, 07:56 PM
E
Yes, I turn it until it clicks once or twice.

Old 09-04-20, 09:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,167 Votes on 1,082 Posts
The cap has a rubber seal that can age and harden with age.

When a particular engine code is set..... one repair is typically "check or tighten the gas cap".
But there are other problems that can look like a gas cap problem. Any loss of vacuum in the gas tank as well as in the vapor recovery system can cause the same exact code to be set.

In other words..... you could change the cap again and still have the problem.

Old 09-05-20, 08:06 AM
Received 12 Votes on 9 Posts
It's two way street.
Rubber seal compresses from being tightened. Dealing with aggressive petrol vapor does not help it stay new either.
Fuel tank filler neck gets dirty and gauged from dispenser pistol. It is minor changes but, accumulated, results in small vapor leak, picked up by EVAP and code thrown.

Old 09-05-20, 08:44 AM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 48 Votes on 41 Posts
As PJMax indicated, (I dont know about your specific car), a vent tube from the tank can be cracked or broken etc & this will throw the code because it detects a leak.
I have had a code/engine light on my vehicle for several years because of an oxygen sensor & "gascap" code. Light dont bother me (obviously). I don't see the point in paying someone $200 to remove the bed of the truck & replace a $1 vacuum line just to get the light to go off when it doesn't affect anything in my opinion. My vehicle has been running just fine for the last 10 years or so with that code.
One day when the fuel pump goes out or I have another reason to take the bed of the truck off, I'll ask them to replace that little rubber tube/line/hose while they are under there.

Just FYI, when the code first come up, I done some checking around & bought a $20 gas cap. Only difference is, I am $20 short in my bank account.

Old 09-05-20, 11:42 AM
E
Thanks everyone for the replies. Technology is great, up to a point.

Old 09-05-20, 11:57 AM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 48 Votes on 41 Posts
Let me clarify that I am not suggesting that you dont get your car fixed. I was just telling my scenario. Bottom line is your problem may be a bad, damaged, leaking or missing vent tube from the neck or tank of your vehicle. Not necessarily a bad gas cap.

Old 09-05-20, 02:52 PM
Received 10 Votes on 7 Posts
Do you have a P0441 code?
When you fill your car with gas do you add more fuel after the handle has tripped off? If you do that you screw up the charcoal canister and it will throw a P0441