Is Walmart Everstart battery still made by Johnson Controls?

Old 12-22-20, 09:33 PM
L
Received 103 Votes on 90 Posts
Is Walmart Everstart battery still made by Johnson Controls?

I know Everstart batteries used to be manufactured by Johnson Controls and it actually stated so on the label.
Recently I went Walmart to pickup a new battery and noticed battery design has changed. Vent caps are now recessed and the label only stated MKTD by Walmart.
Vent caps still has that octagon shape all Johnson Controls batteries has.

Does anyone know if they are still manufactured by Johnson Controls?

Old 12-22-20, 10:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,397 Votes on 1,294 Posts
It's very hard to keep up with.
Johnson no longer makes Walmart batteries.
I think Everstart is manufactured by Exide now.
I think Exide is making Interstate batteries again.

Old 12-23-20, 06:05 AM
L
Exide batteries have recessed vents, but they have square corners on the vent cap.

This is what new walmart batteires look like although the one I bought was Everstart Maxx.
It has vent caps that look exactly like Johnson Controls.
I also see some pictures of diehard batteries with same design.

Looks like they are just keep switching the manufacturer.

I see pictures of interstate batteries in both Johnson Control style and Exide style.

Old 12-23-20, 06:12 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 783 Votes on 720 Posts
I think you are going to have to look at the specific battery you want. I have never known Walmart to use just one battery manufacturer. Either they try to have a couple manufacturers at once or they change manufacturers and because of their inventory they end up with a mix in the stores. I've even noticed different styles among a battery family like Maxx. Certain sizes looked to be from one manufacturer while other sizes came from another.

Old 12-23-20, 09:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 13 Posts
Most companies use whoever offers the better deal at the moment.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 12-23-20, 12:07 PM
R
Received 40 Votes on 32 Posts
Who ever is making them needs to throw in the towel cause they aren't worth the money or aggravation dealing with them. I used to have them last an average of 8 or 9 years in my trucks and the last 2 Maxx batteries I bought started giving problems after they were about 8 months old. One I took back and exchanged and that stupid thing had the same issues after just 6 months, just won't hold a charge. Now I am on the hunt for new batteries that have a track record of actually lasting awhile and don't have much faith in finding anything though.

Old 12-23-20, 02:42 PM
Group Moderator
If price is not the concern..... get the battery from a local auto parts store. Not a chain.
Those guys know what holds up.

I've used Napa batteries for years with good results.

Old 12-23-20, 04:35 PM
L
. I used to have them last an average of 8 or 9 years in my trucks and the last 2 Maxx batteries I bought started giving problems after they were about 8 months old.
Do you live in warmer states? 8 to 9 years is seems exceptionally good battery life. The most I have gotten out of the battery is 7 years and most lasted 5 to 6 years.
That is first time I hear Everstart battery being particularly bad compared to others. Are you sure you didn't have other electrical problem?

I have used:
Advance auto parts AutoCraft Gold
Costco Kirkland
Autozone Duralast Gold
Costco Interstate

All of above batteries are manufactured by Johnson Controls and none of them gave me any problem with battery life. All of them lasted 6+ years for me.
The only one I had to get warranty was Kirkland. For some reason top cover near + terminal melted and leaked acid. That was just under 3 years of use and Costco just issued full refund instead of exchange. Replacement Kirland lasted about 6 years without problem. It had 100 month prorated warranty, but decided it wasn't worth the trouble and got Everstart Maxx instead.
In 3rd year of using Everstart on this vehicle, no problem so far.

I will see how long Everstar last. For the price, I will be happy even if I get only 5 years out of this battery.
I don't even remember what I paid last time, but 24F battery sells for $89.99 right now, which is about 1/2 of what is sold at auto parts store for same CCA rating.

Worst experience I had was with Bosch (from Pepboys). Bought the battery for a company truck, but ended up not needing. I tried to return to Pepboys few days later and their policy was they have to test the battery before allowing return. So, they tested brand new battery and it failed. It had about 2/3 of rated CCA. Basically, this battery was bad from the factory. Pepboys refused to give refund and all they can do is give me a replacement battery under warranty.
Bosch batteries are manufactured by Exide.

Never tested brand new battery before, so I don't know if other batteries I have used in the past would have failed as well, but never purchased any batteries from Peoboys since.

If price is not the concern..... get the battery from a local auto parts store. Not a chain.
Those guys know what holds up.
Non chain auto parts stores around here usually keeps Interstate, which I found aren't any better than other brands.
Maybe I will try Napa next time. Just checked price, and they are actually cheaper than big chain auto parts stores.

Old 12-23-20, 04:41 PM
Group Moderator
There is always a stamped date on a battery. If it's more than a month old it's probably low on charge just from sitting. With self service kiosks.... the new ones are always put in the back leaving the old ones hanging out in front.

Old 12-23-20, 04:53 PM
L
If it's more than a month old it's probably low on charge just from sitting
It was about a moth old battery Pepboys sold me and battery should last more than a month on the shelf. CCA testing is not affected by slightly discharged battery. At least it is not supposed to..

Old 12-23-20, 11:15 PM
A
Received 24 Votes on 23 Posts
quick search looks like johnson controls auto battery business was sold off in 2019.

Old 12-24-20, 07:42 AM
Received 13 Votes on 10 Posts
Google being your friend...

Exide
Most EverStart batteries are made by Exide with a few made by Delphi. Johnson Control does not make batteries for Wal-Mart nor do they any longer make Interstate (now made by Exide.) Common JCI battery brands are Optima and Duralast.Jun 22, 2020

Old 12-24-20, 09:27 PM
W
Received 16 Votes on 15 Posts
I did a google search for who makes Mopar batteries, and AAA batteries, as those two have been equally reliable over several years for me. Johnson Controls came up for both of them. I might take a risk on cheaper brands for my own transportation, but I won't for the wife. I get enough emergency calls to rescue her on the road for things that I cannot control. I do not need more calls for things that I can lol

Old 12-24-20, 10:05 PM
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
Who ever is making them needs to throw in the towel cause they aren't worth the money or aggravation dealing with them. I used to have them last an average of 8 or 9 years in my trucks and the last 2 Maxx batteries I bought started giving problems after they were about 8 months old. One I took back and exchanged and that stupid thing had the same issues after just 6 months, just won't hold a charge. Now I am on the hunt for new batteries that have a track record of actually lasting awhile and don't have much faith in finding anything though.
They don't earn the name "NeverStart" for nothing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: