Looking for objective level headed people: Dealer damaged car. Now what?

Old 01-06-21, 11:43 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Looking for objective level headed people: Dealer damaged car. Now what?

Hope you don't mind me asking this.

People here are always so much more level headed / objective / experienced in things in general.

While I have an older Honda / I like tinkering on basics of car care. But for my wife with a new car, she and I want someone to do it right.

My wife brought her 2020 Subaru outback to a dealership for the 6,000K service. First service on the car.

We bought the 8 year extended warranty and prepaid the maintenance for the first 42K miles.

She dropped off the car and they had a uber driver take her to work 5 minutes away.

She got a call that pulling the car in? or out? of the bay, the banged up the bumper. Very apologetic.

They are bringing her a loaner car and working with a body shop they use that's 15 miles away. The repair should take a week. My wifes telling them / they confirm that she wants subaru OEM parts - bumper, etc.

They said if we didn't file a police report, there'd be no record on carfax, et al.

What are your thoughts about this / what you would expect them to do / what you would do?

Would you file a police report?
Deal with your / or their insurance company?
Shop for other body shops (we don't have a favorite) and bring it there? (the one they said they are using has good rating on just a few reviews on yelp).
Would you expect compensation for this? Drop in car's value? Just the inconvenience? A credit at the dealer isn't worth much since service / warranty is pre paid to Subaru.
A check / visa gift card? Amount?

THANKS!

Popular Reply

01-06-21, 12:15 PM
Pilot Dane
Group Moderator
Received 785 Votes on 722 Posts
Most of the dealerships in my area do not have body shops and contract that work out so I don't find that unusual.

As for a police report, why would one be needed. Nobody was injured, there was no moving violation and no crime was committed.

If the dealership is taking care of the repair you have nothing to file with your insurance company.

As for loss in vehicle worth I don't think that holds true if the repair is done properly which should be easy to accomplish for a minor fender issue. Chances are you never would have known there was an incident if they hadn't been honest and notified you.

And a bit of ugly truth... some new cars have "body work" done before they are ever sold. Every assembly plant I've been in has a department that handles minor details and fixes before the car leaves the plant. Auto dealers also repair shipping damage and on lot boo boos.

Old 01-06-21, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 144 Votes on 112 Posts
First, I've never heard of a dealership that didn't have their own body shop. Surely Subaru has a body shop. Why would you take it somewhere else?
Second, the extended warranty would have nothing to do with the body of the car. Not sure why you mention this.
Third, why question insurance? If they're going to fix it and pay for it, why would you want to use your insurance?
Fourth, as for a police report, if it should be reported, I'm not sure why a legit dealership would debate this with you. This by far isn't making any sense.
Compensation for what? No one got hurt and they gave her a rental to use.

Old 01-06-21, 12:15 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 785 Votes on 722 Posts
Most of the dealerships in my area do not have body shops and contract that work out so I don't find that unusual.

As for a police report, why would one be needed. Nobody was injured, there was no moving violation and no crime was committed.

If the dealership is taking care of the repair you have nothing to file with your insurance company.

As for loss in vehicle worth I don't think that holds true if the repair is done properly which should be easy to accomplish for a minor fender issue. Chances are you never would have known there was an incident if they hadn't been honest and notified you.

And a bit of ugly truth... some new cars have "body work" done before they are ever sold. Every assembly plant I've been in has a department that handles minor details and fixes before the car leaves the plant. Auto dealers also repair shipping damage and on lot boo boos.

babaganoosh, CircuitBreaker, Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 01-06-21, 12:30 PM
B
Received 106 Votes on 93 Posts
Not sure how a non eyewitness provides input to a police report. I would have the dealer list the parts replaced, parts painted, etc., on the service invoice in case these parts become an issue in the future. It would also be good to get a picture of the damage before repair is started. A "bang on the bumper" could be a mole or mountain.

babaganoosh, marksr voted this post useful.
Old 01-06-21, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 144 Votes on 112 Posts
Honestly I think you’re making a mountain out of a mole hill. I would just let them fix it and be done with it.

Old 01-06-21, 01:12 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
Some of the dealers locally farm out their body work. As long as they do the repairs correctly and it looks like it did before I wouldn't make a big deal out of it. Accidents happen.

babaganoosh voted this post useful.
Old 01-06-21, 01:35 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks everyone.

@shadeladie - i might be wrong, but I mentioned the extended warranty because I would think a dealer likes a customer that has that.... something that a paying customer would skip fixing, if I;m getting it for 'free' under the extended warranty, I'd gladly fix it. ie, a customer with extended warranty might be more lucrative / want to make sure they don't alienate them.

re why insurance - you question it too. I am asking 'cause I'm not sure how this works. If someone hits your car in parking lot (not your fault at all)... would you let them fix it if they say they have a body shop : )

Compensation - if a company you are doing business with causes problems with the transaction, I know, in some cases, I feel I should be compensated. My time (or my wifes - to deal with the calls to the dealer, wondering how to not get burned (we are in NJ... call us jaded : ) , dealing with getting the loaner car, returning it, sending in license to them, etc... Sure, it was a mistake. not sure if it's reasonable / unreasonable to expect something to make up for the problem. You want an oil change and your car needs to go to a body shop for a week. Certainly much worse things can happen these days...just asking

Pilot - yes, I figure its likely a car gets dinged / things have to get fixed before delivery : )

And no one's saying she should expect / ask for compensation... good to know!

thanks!

Old 01-06-21, 03:56 PM
Received 315 Votes on 283 Posts
Just a side note as to the question of compensation.
By law any property damage fixed or compensated for is for the sole purpose of making a person whole or as it were before the damage takes place. Using this case as an example , the free fix, and the free use of a loner car. making the person "whole" as would be. No extra monies or other things that would make the victim richer than before.

Old 01-06-21, 05:32 PM
Received 461 Votes on 430 Posts
As for loss in vehicle worth I don't think that holds true if the repair is done properly
So your looking on a web site and there are 2 identical vehicles and they both have a Car Fax report, one shows it had an accident, which one would you buy?

It's called "Inherent Diminished Value".

The very fact that an insurance claim was filed and it's showing up as a red flag (despite not knowing the extent or the quality of the repair) the car is worth less, could be thousands of dollars.

Just another item to consider when involved in minor accidents, might be cheaper to pay out of pocket!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: