2005 Mazda 6 - losing oil+++

Old 01-25-21, 04:26 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question 2005 Mazda 6 - losing oil+++

My 2005 Mazda 6 is losing a lot of oil (about 1 qt a week), even when it's sitting there. and I know next to nothing about vehicles.

I looked under the car and took photos. There's a section of pipe in front of the oil pan that has oil dripping off of it, so I suspect the oil pan is fine?

For a few months, whenever I turn the car off after driving around, I smell oil as soon as I get out of the car.

Any idea what could be causing this? I will try and post a photo.

Thanks!
p.s. Sorry, but I couldn't figure out how to make the photos smaller.

Old 01-25-21, 05:48 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 785 Votes on 722 Posts
Generally oil flows downwards and backwards. There are many places where oil can leak so it could be almost anything. You just have to look and keep following the oil until you find the source. You can also look at the engine from above with a flashlight.

Smelling burning oil isn't unusual as it only takes a few drops on the exhaust to make that burned oil smell.

Old 01-25-21, 06:04 PM
J
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Concur with Dane, locating the source of the leak is next step is fixing the leak.
In your second picture, it looks like the oil may be dripping from directly above that spot on the exhaust. In the background I see the oil filter. Try tightening your oil filter and see if that helps. Oil will leak from a loose oil filter whether the car is running or not.

Old 01-26-21, 01:09 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
I will typically park over a clean sheet of cardboard and then use the location of the drip on the cardboard to help locate the leak on the engine. A quart a week isn't really a helpful measurement, it's more often expressed in quarts per unit of mileage driven and on an older car, a quart every 1000 miles is considered to be within reason. If the loss of oil is considerable but the spots on the ground or cardboard are not, it's possible the oil is getting into the cylinders and being burned - this is something most mechanical people will notice by odor and it will color the smoke a little blue.

Old 01-26-21, 06:49 PM
Received 13 Votes on 10 Posts
It drips onto exhaust pipe. You want that to set on fire?
Knowing Japanese, it is valve cover gasket. Then it drops down along engine block and onto exhaust. Get it fixed asap.
I doubt it's oil pan but who knows. Japan is not really known for bad oil pan gaskets. Valve cover - sure.

Old 01-28-21, 05:12 PM
M
Thank you so much for the replies! Car wouldn't start at all today. Even some whirring sounds today.

Just had it towed into the shop and from my description, they said it could be a few different things, but possibly the valve cover gasket. Unfortunately they're so busy they might not be able to even take a look at it until next Wednesday. Oh well.

Thanks so much for your input, and I will definitely let you know how it all turns out.

Thanks!

Old 01-28-21, 06:50 PM
Received 13 Votes on 10 Posts
As I said... it's Japanese = valve cover gasket.

Old 01-30-21, 07:27 AM
M
Depending upon how long the problem has existed (it could have been there for a while before the leak developed into something easily seen/smelled), the damage may go beyond just the leak. This from the latest incident of the car not wanting to start though that could be due to seasonal cold weather.

Keep a good overview when your repair shop estimate comes. It's a 15 year old car and old cars have a tendency to become mechanic's specials. I gather you're not a mechanic and have no desire to become one. Consider other alternatives.

Hoping for the best outcome.

MR2.

Old 02-01-21, 11:13 PM
M
Got the car back. Seems to work now, but I'm confused since I had an oil change done 6,400 kilometres ago.

The shop said the valve cover gasket is okay. They said the engine cover was seeping oil, and that the oil filter was plugged/jammed so badly that very little oil could actually get to the engine. So they replaced air filter, oil filter and cabin air filter. And the battery was 5 years old so I got that replaced.

So all in, it was only $ 400. But I'm still scratching my head wondering how that could have been the issue when it had only been 6,400 kilometres since my last oil change.

I really hope that that was all that was wrong with it, but I keep thinking there must be more.

Old 02-02-21, 04:19 AM
J
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Thanks for updating us on your car's problem. Hopefully you will have no more leaks.
You may want to call the shop and ask what was plugging the oil filter. Sludge, oil filter internals? I think it would be worth knowing this so you can keep an eye out between oil changes. Did this same shop do your last oil change?
Has all of the oil been removed from the underside and exhaust of your car? Cleaning the oil from your exhaust pipe is a safety issue, and cleaning oil from everywhere else will help you monitor if you have a leak from behind your engine cover.

Old 02-02-21, 02:36 PM
Received 11 Votes on 8 Posts
Is this the same shop that changed the oil last time?

Old 02-02-21, 10:35 PM
M
Thanks again!

And nope. This time I took it to a small shop I've been to before. But the time before that, I took it to Canadian Tire for an oil change.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: