Windshield chip repair

Old 02-08-21, 02:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
Windshield chip repair

I've had windshields replaced after being damaged, but over the weekend I picked up a star chip when I caught a stone on the interstate. Unfortunately it's only about 2" outboard from my centerline line of sight when driving. Anywhere else and I'd probably ignore it, but this I need to fix.

Question: Are chip repairs sufficiently good that I won't have an annoying spot in place of the star after the repair? It's pretty small, maybe 1/4" across total.

Old 02-08-21, 02:49 PM
C
Received 350 Upvotes on 293 Posts
I had a small chip (center windshield) repair done about a year ago. It was done by one of the large franchise outfits. The guy that did the work was very particular but he told me at the start that he could not make it invisible. After the repair I could see the chip and it annoyed me. However, even though it is still there I no longer see it. I guess I just got used to it and it no longer bothers me.

So I guess my answer is that the process is very good at stabilizing the damaged area, it will probably still be visible.

Old 02-08-21, 03:26 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
I've done repairs that tuned out perfect, I've had repairs that were still visible afterward. I always give it a shot you can always replace latter which is not always a perfect situation, I've had scratches!

Old 02-08-21, 04:25 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I've had one chip repaired that was almost impossible to see after the repair and I've had one that remained pretty visible. I don't think glass repair places try to repair if the damage is in front of the driver in their primary vision area.

Old 02-08-21, 04:46 PM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
I had two fixed on my last truck, in Michigan so with pretty extreme temperature swings, and neither of them were visible once they fixed them.

Old 02-09-21, 04:18 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I've both had diy fixes and pro fixes. The pro fixes were invisible [and often covered by insurance] My diy fixes were always visible but in most cases it kept the chip/crack from spreading.

Old 02-09-21, 05:12 AM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
I've used simple repair kits from Autozone and they worked really well just by following directions. I've done about six star chips with good results and no prior experience.

Old 02-11-21, 04:57 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
Appointment tomorrow morning to get it repaired. Had some time to kill since I'm getting 6 tires put on wrecker then (the windshield is on my Tacoma). I'll post back how they did. When driving it's almost possible to ignore it, but I have noticed that at certain times of day and driving direction it can catch the sun's rays and really stand out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: