Brake drum bearings - machine shop or DYI?

Old 03-02-21, 06:25 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Brake drum bearings - machine shop or DYI?

I am familiar with the "old" style of brake drum bearings and grease seals (inner & and outer bearings) that you could remove/install their races with a bearing driver and a hammer. But on a 2012 Nissan Versa (and I am sure with other vehicles) there is just a one piece, very thick bearing. You Tube videos have it being removed/installed by a press. Can I do this with my old style bearing driver/hammer or will I damage it (or is it just too tight to remove like this?)

Old 03-02-21, 09:56 AM
A
Received 26 Votes on 25 Posts
most shops would just replace the entire hub and bearing assembly, they cost a little more but typically not hard to change.

Old 03-02-21, 09:59 AM
J
Received 15 Votes on 14 Posts
You can replace the bearing as a DIY. When you knock out the old bearing, use the outer race to match it up to a socket with a thick wall. You can use the socket to drive in the new bearing. You can also get a loaner bearing installation tool from an auto parts store. You'll still need the socket to get the bearing to bottom though. The old bearing's outer race will probably be too thin to get good contact.
Install will go a little smoother if you chill the bearing and heat the drum. Still a lot of whacking though, just be careful not to hit the inner race or the bearing cage.
If you can rig a press that is always better, but that isn't what you asked.
You can also buy drums with the bearings installed.

Old 03-03-21, 06:27 AM
Received 16 Votes on 13 Posts
For around less than $100, I'd have replaced entire hub bearing. Not worth it buying bearing for $40, as long as it is, and having it set wrong or, damaging long journal and having to buy hub anyway.

marksr voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: