Should I switch to Amsoil?

Old 06-20-01, 03:00 PM
Visiting Guest
I have a 1990 Ford Club Wagon with 60,000 miles on a remanufactured 5.0L 8 cylinder. I am considering changing to Amsoil Synthetic (0W-30 or 5W-30) motor oil in order to improve gas mileage and longevity. What have others experiences been in changing to Amsoil? Is it ok to change even though the engine has 60,000 miles on it? Will it cause premature deterioration of rubber gaskets as one mechanic indicated?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-01, 05:46 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Nah, I don't think they'll be any damage, but I think the benefits are negligible in such an engine. Also with that many miles on the rebuild, I would say a lot of the wear is done for already .

My vote is to save your pennies and just change your oil and filters regularly. Many sythetics claim to increase drain intervals, but I think it depends on your driving. 3000 miles in bumper-to-bumper NYC traffic is going to beat most oils synthetic or not. That's the best you can do. I believe that certain cars and trucks can benefit from synthetic and those are high performance vehicles such as the Corvette and the Firebird/Camaro.

Old 01-29-08, 12:25 PM
Amsoil

It will improve your mileage, but you won't notice it. It may only be a half a mile to the gallon. I use Amsoil in my Cabover cause I get it wholesale from my brother and they have a 15w40. For you use Mobil 1 extended performance and get it from Walmart. Use the Mobil filter as well. Change the oil every 6 months or 5,000 miles which ever comes first. With 60,000 miles you won't have a problem. I use this oil in my Izuzu Rodeo Sport and its great.

Search this Thread