Leaking Floor Jack

Old 04-15-21, 02:31 PM
T
Received 6 Votes on 5 Posts
Leaking Floor Jack

Hey... I hope this is the correct place to post this. Searching didn't come up with a similar issue.

I have this floor jack that was gifted to me some time ago. A neighbour left it outdoors for a long time. The release was seized. I worked at it with P Blaster for days and finally it came loose. Since then it's been great. Recently on jacking up my SUV I've noticed oil leaking from the area pictured below. I know this is a failing o-ring and I know exactly how to fix it... OK....

As I understand it, if I don't use the exact, correct size o-ring it won't work. The problem is that other than "Made in USA" this beast of a jack has no other markings on it. Even if it is recorded for something this old, I have no way of looking up what size o-ring I need to use. I think I can assume it's not metric but that still leaves a few sizes that are pretty similar.

I'm hoping someone has the experience to be able to tell me if there's a standard size on this sort of unit? Or perhaps a way of measuring the existing ring once removed with a caliperor something in a way that wont distort the reading? Especially since the existing ring is probably the original...

For the sake of a rubber ring it would pain me to get rid of this beast of a jack ... I'm sure some of you out there have repaired floor jacks so here I am... hopefully in the right place.

Video of leak:
https://streamable.com/2pyek0

Old 04-15-21, 03:27 PM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Measure the OD of pump shaft and go from there. The size of pump O-rings are fairly common between brands.
Looks like a couple of jacks I bought from Sears in 1986.
That style of jack has many brand names and many variations in color.

Old 04-15-21, 03:50 PM
A
Received 72 Votes on 65 Posts
For whatever it's worth, it looks to me like it might be a Hein Werner, but that doesn't matter much because, like Rooster said, all of the major brands from those days, H-W, Blackhawk, Walker, etc. private labeled under a lot of names, and they're all long gone so even if you did know the exact make and model the odds of finding an OEM part on ebay or wherever is next to zero. But, as Rooster also said, seals and whatnot were pretty much standard. Unless you have a really well stocked independent hardware store you probably won't find it there, but maybe at an independent auto parts store. Otherwise, Grainger, Zoro, McMaster Carr, or even Amazon.

Old 04-15-21, 04:31 PM
T
Thanks guys. It didnít occur to me to start with the inside diameter of the o-ring (outside diameter of the shaft) I was only thinking of the rings O/D which I canít really measure

Also this way I donít have to pull it apart until I have some rings in hand. I figure I can get a bunch with that I/D.

Old 04-16-21, 05:59 AM
Received 356 Votes on 321 Posts
FWIW, in my opinion throw it out. It was thrown out for a reason! I had one of those. Almost killed me when the release handle failed and the handle flew up and struck me on the side of the head with the full force of the weight of the car.
Sure it can be rebuilt, but it will never be the same nor will it have any integrity after being left out for a period of time. Not worth the cost of a new unit.

Old 04-16-21, 06:52 AM
T
Iím sorry to hear that Norm. Iím sure that wouldnít be pleasant. Iíve never heard of such sudden failure before. I always use jack stands and leave the handle in the vertical position just as a matter of practice. I try to never trust only one piece of equipment with safety..... even when something is brand new.

I will say this... I will tend to trust the build of a piece of equipment built (well) in North America many years ago over something newer that was built overseas to a much lower standard. I have much newer jack and just visually, looking at the steel, welds and overall construction.... thereís no comparison.

This unit was left out and given to me because my neighbours health failed and he could no longer do that sort of work. Iíd help him with his repairs and such....

If I do replace it Iíll spend the $ and get something of Hein-Werner level quality.... but thatís quite a few pay checks away...

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 04-16-21, 07:21 AM
The failure happened when I was done with the repair job. The handle was in the up position during the repair. It was when I started to lower the vehicle that the seals broke and the handle, when in the down position flew from my grip and slammed in to my head. I think it knocked me out momentarily. I learned to never put my body in the path of the handle.

When I threw it out I made sur it was not salvageable by anyone who might want to "repair it"

Old 04-16-21, 08:21 PM
W
Received 20 Votes on 18 Posts
I have a jack in the garage that I bought probably 40 years ago in Findlay Ohio that appears to be a clone of the one in the picture. It has a decal that says it was an ASTROLINE 2 ton floor jack. I probably have the book for it, but matching the O ring even with a part number might be a stretch. Do want me to dig it up?

Old 04-16-21, 08:30 PM
T
I don't want to put you out but I'll take anything I can get. Even if it doesn't have a parts breakdown it would be cool to have the manual.

Feel free to send me a PM if you want to send a file.

Again, please don't spend too much time...

Old 04-16-21, 08:40 PM
W
If you can Identify it as an AM200F you can get seal kits for it from www.HCRCnow.com I got this from google which sent me a site called www.garagejournal.com Lots of posts about it. I don't now how to do the PM thing here, but if I can find the book I would be happy to scan it to your e-mail address.

Old 04-16-21, 08:45 PM
T
Looking at those links now. Thank you

Old 04-16-21, 09:05 PM
W
The seal kit for the AM200F is PN 215500 and listed as 46 bucks or so. It would not surprise me that if you can't get any numbers off your jack, that a phone call to them might be the way to go.

Old 04-16-21, 09:29 PM
T
OMG! That's exactly the jack... I even identified the o-ring on the parts breakdown... only thing I have to figure out is the size of that part numbers 8-2, 8-3 and 8-4 on this breakdown so I can find just those pieces.

https://www.hcrcnow.com/uploads/draw...jack_2_ton.pdf

Old 04-16-21, 09:33 PM
T
I'm going to give them a call on Monday. I wouldn't mind paying the $46 but I really only need the plunger ring. I'm in Toronto so the $46 will likely cost me $100 with the exchange and shipping to Canada.

I wish I could just find out the dimensions of that one ring.

Old 04-17-21, 02:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 404 Votes on 360 Posts
I know you'd prefer to have the O-ring before you take it apart but what I'd do would be to tear it down and then go to a local hydraulic shop and match up the old O-ring with a new one. I haven't been in a long time but I'd have a hard time imagining the the O-ring costing more than $1.

Old 04-17-21, 04:44 AM
B
Received 111 Votes on 97 Posts
You have an heirloom there so don't throw it out. It was made in Japan during the 70-80s and is much better than the Chinese made stuff today. Sears carried them and the 2 1/4 ton was model 328.12020. All the capacities from 2-4 ton used the same valve/pressure body with the safety valve adjustment being the only difference. You can get parts from following contact: https://www.hcrcnow.com/shop/seal-ki...ears&s=3281202. You should also be able to get a replacement o-ring at any hardware or auto parts store that has metric o-rings. Be careful removing the o-ring because as I recall the o-ring is sandwiched between 2 plastic washers. As far as I know you can only get the washers from a company that sells them as a part of a repair kit.

Old 04-17-21, 05:07 AM
You have an heirloom there so don't throw it out. It was made in Japan during the 70-80s and is much better than the Chinese made stuff today.
Well that's not not saying much. Back then Japanese quality for tools was not the best. Might have been better than today's Chinese's stuff but I would not trust it to do the job it was designed for. Maybe a conversation or museum piece but that's about it. My real concern is the fact that the OP stated it was left out (assuming to the elements) and that fact in itself tells me not to trust any rebuild.

Old 04-17-21, 06:23 AM
B
Received 111 Votes on 97 Posts
You should not go under a vehicle when only supported by a jack. The vehicle should be resting on solid supports like jack stands. Norm, I don't think your accident had anything to do with the jack being old or exposed to the elements. I think you released the lift valve while lowering the handle. The ram piston pressure was able to overcome the pump piston pressure while the check balls were changing position, allowing the pump piston to raise, including the handle. Has this ever happened to you with the handle already in the full up/down position before releasing the lift valve?

Old 04-17-21, 06:41 AM
You should not go under a vehicle when only supported by a jack.
Reread my post #7. I always used jack stands and static support for under vehicle work. I'm not the OP. I never left my tools or jack exposed to the elements. Always kept in good condition. No I did not release the valve while lowering the handle. While working on vehicle I either kept jack handle in up position or removed jack altogether to gain more maneuverability. When lowering vehicle one must slightly raise vehicle enough to free jack stands. That in turn leaves the handle in the down position. Then slowly turned handle to release pressure to lower vehicle. I happened to have my body over the handle as slowly turning the release valve. That's when the "O" rings or seals ruptured and the handle flew up and struck me. Lesson learned never put yourself in the path of the handle. This was a pure accident with no carelessness on my part.

Old 04-17-21, 07:00 AM
T
Iíll have another look but I recall seeing ďMade in USAĒ stamped into the unit.

Old 04-17-21, 07:04 AM
T
@marksr - Absolutely, thatís what an o-ring should cost.

I could try and match the old o-ring but I thought given its age it might be too distorted to match

Old 04-17-21, 08:02 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
could try and match the old o-ring but I thought given its age it might be too distorted to match
get several sizes if you're not positive which one is the right size

Old 04-17-21, 09:35 AM
W
Torontojoe, I am assuming from your reply to my post that you identified the jack as an AM 200F If you still want a book on it, post your email address if they will let you, and I will scan it and send it to you. Lockewml@bex.net

WML13

(I have used this jack for 40 years and never had to do anything other than lubricate squeeky wheel bearings) If you don't want it I will go up the 401 to get it! lol

Old 05-05-21, 09:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
you can replace the seals yourself for around 20 dollars. go to your local Walmart or hardware store and look in the area for auto motive or ask for rubber seals there will be all sizes. Then all you'll need is hydraulic fluid and youll have a new jack.. Sorry if you already fixed your problem

Old 05-05-21, 10:32 AM
T
Actually I havenít fixed it yetÖ Not due to my own lazinessÖ Rather that all of Ontario is it in yet another lock down. Stores are closed for in-store shopping. Itís a real pain finding what I need online. Thereís no substitute for being able to go in and look at an item.

this will probably last another few weeks at least up here.

Old 05-05-21, 10:36 AM
Oh ouch that blows. you could look them up on ebay as multi-seal packages. the seals will also work for your .177 air riffle lol

Old 05-05-21, 10:40 AM
T
You actually just got me thinking about this again and how I need to get it done. Iím looking at this set online. Iím just hoping It contains the size that I need

https://www.princessauto.com/en/407-...tings=reviews#

1 quart of oil should be plenty enough to fill this thing, yes?

Old 05-05-21, 10:48 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
A quart will be more than enough.

Old 05-05-21, 10:58 AM
yep that will have the one you need. hope it works like new for you

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: