Spots on Pavement

Old 06-10-21, 12:37 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Spots on Pavement

I had the dealer take my SUV in to check for leaks, it's only two years old now. I see drips on the pavement whenever I back up.
It's not just water as it has a somewhat oily consistency.

Anyway, they checked it and told me it is from running the driver's side temperature control a lot colder than the passenger's side. They said that makes a condensation.
I can follow all that but just wonder if something like that would cause these spots to be oily like?
Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Old 06-10-21, 02:57 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Condensation is just water. If you are noticing an oily residue it's more than just condensation. Is your AC still working as cold and strong as it used to? My first guess is you have a leak and the oil may be from the AC system.

Look for a clean section of pavement and park the vehicle when you know it will drip. Then, without moving the vehicle look underneath to see where the drips are located. That will give you a good clue as to the source.

Old 06-10-21, 03:32 PM
S
I'll be running the A/C tomorrow so I'll pay attention after I park it.
What doesn't make sense to me is that these drips happen when I just back out of the garage and stop for a minute. Nothing has been running that long to form condensation.
Thanks, I'll let you know later.

Old 06-11-21, 03:05 AM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Just a suggestion, try blotting some of it up on a white paper towel to get a true sense of what it is. Any automotive fluid I know of has some color other than clear water.

Old 06-11-21, 06:17 AM
Received 62 Upvotes on 53 Posts
Your exhaust is filled with condensation overnight. And muffler normally has drain hole.
You move, what set still, and droplets coalesce and gravity pulls them down say, from AC cold component.
If spots are gone in few hrs, don't worry about them. It's water.

Old 06-11-21, 03:33 PM
S
Thanks for the replies, it must be just water as I got this picture today but five minutes later the mysterious spots were gone. Can it be the water runs over some parts that makes it look kind of oily? Looks kind of amber color.
A/C is running fine.
https://imgur.com/a/NjOsplV

Old 06-12-21, 07:16 AM
Your picture shows dark stains on lighter dark asphalt. Of course, due to driving, engine underbelly is oily and dirty.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-diB65scQU

Old 06-12-21, 08:35 AM
S
Thanks so much and a clever way you have to ease my mind!

Old 06-13-21, 06:57 AM
Life is and is getting hard and harder enough, to worry about wet spots on asphalt.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: